Unwelcome Guests

Oly

I was closing the curtains about midnight last night and noticed a lamp being shone round my permission in the fields over the road. Knowing that I am the only one permitted to shoot the land I texted the farmer and headed out with my brother-in-law to investigate. Just took a torch and stayed on the road, not wanting to confront potentially armed gypsies, and sure enough they exited the field further down the road. Looked like a guy & lad with two dogs, but what would you do in that situation?

Think you did the right thing. They have no hesitation in being violent and even the police round here are not keen to address the issue without an armed response unit. One game keeper I know is a martial arts champion and came across 2 guys with long dogs up to no good, goot a right good beating from them. He was just lucky there were only 2 and they were not armed with anything worse than a couple of sticks.

I was closing the curtains about midnight last night and noticed a lamp being shone round my permission in the fields over the road. Knowing that I am the only one permitted to shoot the land I texted the farmer and headed out with my brother-in-law to investigate. Just took a torch and stayed on the road, not wanting to confront potentially armed gypsies, and sure enough they exited the field further down the road. Looked like a guy & lad with two dogs, but what would you do in that situation?

Where they in a car Oly ( peugeot?) - if so i think we caught the same ones on friday over on my mates estate

Where they in a car Oly ( peugeot?) - if so i think we caught the same ones on friday over on my mates estate

That's what I first was going out to see. But they are either from the village or parked in the village 1/4 mile away. We followed them at a distance once they left the field, we kept to the shadows (as I didn't want them to know where I lived, given they were walking past my house!) - especially when they turned and shone their lamp back at us. We saw them then turn at the end of the road and head into the village - we left it at that.

I spoke to the farmer this morning and she was very happy with what I did, especially given that she's a lone woman in the main hall 1/4 mile from the nearest houses. I was thinking though, if it happens again, whether to go out with my lamp...make them think that a legitimate shooter is out and about - hopefully they'll scarper again asap??

[quote name='Oly' date='Oct 25 2009, 05:32 PM' post='69230' but what would you do in that situation?

What I do and what I'd like to do are thankfully two different things.

We had a couple of incidents last year, where groups of the travelling community were meeting in the local pub, betting to see who could return with the largest bag by the end of the night. ;)

The shoot captain's father who lives on the ground, was shot through his Discovery's side window with a catapult. The F**kers nearly killed him, took part of his ear off.

Lets just say what go's around comes around. Be very careful Oly, makes sure you report every incident, photo's if you can.

Steve.

Sounds nasty Steve. Thanks for the advice, like you say - what you would like to do verus what you would actually do is often two quite different things! ;)

Archived