Questions before I buy

sir-slots-alot

Gents

Hopefully there is someone with some experience who may be able to advise.

I am seriously considering buying a second hand 22 BR.

Couple of questions - The gun has a Tooley action - are these a modified remmy action - how do you rate them... any info appreciated.

Secondly - the gun has been using moly coated bullets - If I stick shooting moly coated are there any cleaning routene things to bear in mind .. any pit falls as I have no experience of moly coated ammo

what is involved in removing moly from the barrel so I can shoot regular bullets.

An easy job or not -- Remember I am very lazy... :lol:

Thankyou in advance

Alan

Alan

The 22BR is a great cartridge so that's a good start.

I've no experience of Tooley actions but suggest you Google the name and go from there - there's lots of information.

I shoot moly-coated bullets in my 22BR because it cuts down on copper fouling. Cleaning is generally easier than with non-coated bullets (a 50:50 mixture of Shooters Choice and Kroil using patches only is a frequent recipe). If you want to go back to using non-coated bullets then you'll need to give the barrel a very thorough clean with a bronze brush and then be prepared for accuracy to go out the window for maybe 30 shots afterwards.

Cornishman

I will echo the effectiveness of the 22BR

I used to use moly and then couldn't source any moly heads and switched back to normal bullets. I didn't clean the barrel in any special way and accuracy stayed the same. I'm not disputing what Cornishman said, I guess I just got lucky.

Thanks for the replys. does sound a great calibre and I have seen enough of Trigger2 to be impressed.

The gun is for sale at Minsterly Ranges for £995 and also advertised on guntrader.

It comes with some moly bullets , cases and comp dies.

However the stock is the standard remmy stock - looks and feels flimsy and cheap.

It really neeeds a decent stock fitting - so I will have to consider this cost in to the price

Alan

It all depends on the brand of moly bullets its been run on, Alan. If its had sierra or hornady down it, then the bore will be badly fouled with moly, as these brands tend to "lose" their moly to the bore, very readily. If its been run on lapua scenar moly,s ...you will find next to nothing in there.

As Elwood says, the 50-50 mixture will shift most of it, but if its badly fouled then jb paste is the only way.

I would look very very carefully at this rifle. It may be as well to take it out of the stock to examine the underside of the action etc. Mr Tooley and Mr Ryan are not what you might call bousom buddies.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth.

Sorry, I dont know what you mean... :lol:

Can you be less criptic - Probably me being thick , but I dont want to spend a grand and not be clear on any problems.

Cheers

Alan

Gareth.

Sorry, I dont know what you mean... ;)

Can you be less criptic - Probably me being thick , but I dont want to spend a grand and not be clear on any problems.

Cheers

Alan

i see this on the net looks like it could be a good by. i would want a try before you buy on the range before hand alan

i see this on the net looks like it could be a good by. i would want a try before you buy on the range before hand alan

Yes, I went to have look at it - Great kit for less than a brass band.

It is let down by the stock in a big way - but nothing that Mr Mcmillan couldnt fix.

Anyway , some info from here has put me off buying it - dont want to say any more because I dont know if its true.

But I wont take the chance .. Going to put a variation in for a 22 BR when I sell my Hornet . I may have one built next year or see whats available.

Alan

HI mate

looks like you might go for it, as said shoot it and see and ask how many rounds have gone through it .as for action they are ok never here of a bad one. about moly give it a scubb had that problem once scrubb !!, can always put a bore scope down they have a scope at minsterly

look forward to hering about it will wait and see good luck on that

P.S

Got over my Invite topic !! Still keeping the invite open to members of the forum. FUN

thanks for your support

Hi sir-slots-alot

If your buying from Minsterley make sure you have a good look down the barrel with a bore scope and if your not sure what to look for then take somebody with you. (Glen).

Also check that the twist rate is suitable for the weight of bullet you want to shoot, i am good friend of Glen and i know his rifle was built to shoot a 75g A-max, i think his twist rate would be 1 in 9 i think but just check with Glen, that is if you want to use it for long range.

The rifle sounds great with a good action and it could always be re-barrelled at a later date if it does not suit your needs.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the advise Guys.

Post 6 on this thread - made me wary - it is in a very poor stock.

I did wonder why - someone would have a Tooley action and a Match barrel - then put a very knackered stock on it.

I did not like the answer I recieved concerning this paticular rifle.

So I'll wait for something else to come along or get a new build when funds are available.

Alan

Bit of advice Alan if I may.

IMHO a 20BR might not be the best choice for you if you'r fairly new to reloading.

There is allot of sizing down of the necks from .243 to .224. I have a 20BR and Case prep is a real pain. Also you would need to turn the necks, another lengthy process which would have to be done precisely or there could be a loud bang and you get a mouth full of bolt, not good.

I would advise a no neck turn 22-250 with a 1/8 or 1/9 twist depending on what bullet weight you want to shoot.A 75gr for the former and an 80gr for the latter. most would go for the 75 A-Max, it works well.

Brass is readily available get yourself a good quality action a blue printed Remington or an RPA would be a good choice and maybe drop in Accuracy chassis and 30" Krieger barrel. If you go this route get someone good to do the smithing. Once you've got the action and stock sorted then you can always go to a 22BR later.

Hope this is useful.

Bit of advice Alan if I may.

IMHO a 20BR might not be the best choice for you if you'r fairly new to reloading.

There is allot of sizing down of the necks from .243 to .224. I have a 20BR and Case prep is a real pain. Also you would need to turn the necks, another lengthy process which would have to be done precisely or there could be a loud bang and you get a mouth full of bolt, not good.

I would advise a no neck turn 22-250 with a 1/8 or 1/9 twist depending on what bullet weight you want to shoot.A 75gr for the former and an 80gr for the latter. most would go for the 75 A-Max, it works well.

Brass is readily available get yourself a good quality action a blue printed Remington or an RPA would be a good choice and maybe drop in Accuracy chassis and 30" Krieger barrel. If you go this route get someone good to do the smithing. Once you've got the action and stock sorted then you can always go to a 22BR later.

Hope this is useful.

I was actually thinking of a 22 BR - rather than a 20 BR.

You may have a point about the 22.250 - I have all the gear for this cal already.

Plus I like a mag in my gun - I know about the benifits of single shot action, being stiffer and all.

But I am not sure it will make much difference on crows at the ranges I shoot.

Still undecided - My natural laziness is pulling me toward - and 1 in 8 - 22.250.

Glen has not given up the ghost and has offered to assist me with case prep on the 22 BR.

Anyway , I have finally sold my Hornet , so I will be getting something soon-ish

Alan

That might be good advice from Taffy. I have RPAs in both 22BR and fast-twist 22-250. They're both tack drivers with similar performance. Here's the pros and cons in my view:

22-250 - only routine case prep, shoots 75g Amax bullets with excellent accuracy but only if you use good brass. I shot it on Sunday with Winchester brass and it was less than satisfactory. You need Norma brass which is expensive - Lapua don't do 22-250 brass. This cartridge is known for stretching brass and the Ackley Improved version might be a better bet.

22BR - uses Lapua 6mmBR brass which is some of the best available. However whether you're shooting a 20BR or a 22BR there's lots of case-prep to do and neck turning is unavoidable. Don't think of doing neck turning if you're new to reloading unless you have someone experienced to guide you through the process as it's so easy to foul up. Most reamers are cut for the Lapua brass so only a fool would buy Norma brass (by the way I have some new Norma BR brass for sale if anyone's interested). Once you've made your 22BR cases they last for a long time and they look really cute.

Cornishman.

PS - I have too many rifles - make me an offer for my 22-250 or my 22BR. Both RPA, Mcmillan, Border/Kreiger etc. Something's gotta go before long!

You can get Nosler Custom Brass for the .22-250 which should be good stuff

22-250 - only routine case prep, shoots 75g Amax bullets with excellent accuracy but only if you use good brass. I shot it on Sunday with Winchester brass and it was less than satisfactory. You need Norma brass which is expensive - Lapua don't do 22-250 brass. This cartridge is known for stretching brass and the Ackley Improved version might be a better bet.

Cornishman.

PS - I have too many rifles - make me an offer for my 22-250 or my 22BR. Both RPA, Mcmillan, Border/Kreiger etc. Something's gotta go before long!

I have a hundred of the nosler cases sat loaded ready to fireform into ackley. It is absolutely fabulous brass.....not cheap, but every bit as good as lapua.

I have a hundred of the nosler cases sat loaded ready to fireform into ackley. It is absolutely fabulous brass.....not cheap, but every bit as good as lapua.

I've just returned from the US with a load of Nosler Custom .243 brass to fireform in the Ackley. I bought a load of .22-250 brass back for someone else too.

I was quite surprised to find it on the shelf in Bass Pro. I looked for .223 and .308 but there wasnt any oterwise I'd have cleaned them out of that too <_<

.300 Winmag brass was just over $1 a pop which I thought was very reasonable

Mark

I've just returned from the US with a load of Nosler Custom .243 brass to fireform in the Ackley. I bought a load of .22-250 brass back for someone else too.

I was quite surprised to find it on the shelf in Bass Pro. I looked for .223 and .308 but there wasnt any oterwise I'd have cleaned them out of that too <_<

.300 Winmag brass was just over $1 a pop which I thought was very reasonable

Mark

The 22BR is possibly the easiest wildcat round to load for, just run a 6BR case through a 22BR FL die and you're done.

Cornishman, can I ask why you feel the need to neck turn, presuming it's not a tight neck? I know the brass can flow when sizing down, causing donuts, but that's only a problem when seating below the neck, which I don't. I have no idea if you would need to seat that low using 75 grain or above bullets.

I had major hassle with my Forster seating die, which meant I did have to neck turn, after a bit of investigation on the 6BR forum I then changed to a Redding seating die and all my problems were solved.

Archived