New Competition Rifle

Guys

a little off piste here, but my new rifle arrived earlier in the week, its for Tactical Competition and Factory F Class / 1000 yard BR if it shoots well enough ;)

Basic spec:

Accuracy International AW - 7.62x51mm (308), 26" Border 5r, folding stock, ajustable cheek piece, 34mm incline AI mounts on a picatinny, oh and a 5-25x56 Schmidt PM11 with P4 fine reticule.

300 yd Ladder test and barrel break in Mon / Tues dependant on family commitments..... as I await Scenar and SMK delivery just using some Sierra 168 match initially and Vit 140 (again waiting for Vit 150 / 550)

DSC00498.png

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

Yup, I know, its ugly,,,,just like its owner :P

A nice looking rifle ,it must be something else to be able to shoot out to those sort of ranges,hope you have great success with your new rifle

Andy.....................i hate you.

:P

Very nice mate, get some rounds down it and let me know what that 5r shoots like .As you know, thats whats on mine sat waiting for the stock. I see you went for one of sportsmatch,s ai mounts, we had one sent up for a gun we are building, as it also is having the same schmidt on. It looked fine, but i believe they are the same ball park price as a pair of badgers? ;) i cant help thinking sportsmatch are taking the piss, when you consider that their most expensive ally airgun mount is only £50?

You kept that one quiet ;) will it be making the mcQueens next week?

good luck with it buddy, its a mighty puuurty looky bang-stick.

get that lawn cut. :P

To be honest, I have been invited to a competition in europe in october and I really, really want to go. I was invited to the same one in May earlier in the year but couldn't make it, this time i'm going.

I planned to have an F class rifle built, but as I want to enter Mcqueens and other mil style comps, i thought I would invest in a tactical but accurate rifle instead.

I considered the .338 Lap, but 2000 rounds is not my idea of fun when re-barrelling....

The 308 should be good for 8 - 10,000 before it goes.

Yes, a lot of cash, but from speaking to other military "users" of such weapons those that have Rem 700's want Sako TRG's and those that have TRG's want AW's - so I bit the bullet.

The Schmidt, well I have a 4-16 PM11 with the same P4 fine ret and it is amazing - the 5-25 well, the light transmission is exceptional - as is the price. You really need a use for this scope to justify purchase. (I need mildot and mil ajustment for UKD target ranging without LRF)

Iv'e just made up 20 rounds in .3 grain increment for the ladder test (more of barrel brake in and get to know the thing)

Let you know how it goes... ;)

Ps sorry Baldie (the triggers not as nice as Peters if that helps :P )

Very nice Andy, alas i cant say the same about your choice of cartridge for your intended purpose. ;)

Ian.

Don't worry Ian, I know a nice man that could do me another barrel in 260 Rem of even 6.5x47,,,,,we'll see how it goes with the 155g scenars and 175g SMK when they arrive. If I can attain 2900 fps with a bullet of .5 or more BC, I should be ok out to 1K.

Guys

a little off piste here, but my new rifle arrived earlier in the week, its for Tactical Competition and Factory F Class / 1000 yard BR if it shoots well enough :P

Basic spec:

Accuracy International AW - 7.62x51mm (308), 26" Border 5r, folding stock, ajustable cheek piece, 34mm incline AI mounts on a picatinny, oh and a 5-25x56 Schmidt PM11 with P4 fine reticule.

300 yd Ladder test and barrel break in Mon / Tues dependant on family commitments..... as I await Scenar and SMK delivery just using some Sierra 168 match initially and Vit 140 (again waiting for Vit 150 / 550)

DSC00498.png

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

Yup, I know, its ugly,,,,just like its owner ;)

hi Andy

nice looking smoke pole you got your self.

i am looking forward to seeing the groups, is that rifle straight of the shelf ??? or have you had it made up.

iv been thinking about getting one of them S&B for some time now, and i can get them at a decent price if any one is interested.

but I'm not sold on the ret, (might be because i don't know how to use one) but i do prefer a small dot.

i had a look through one at the IWA and i must say if you have never looked through one you will be blown away. they are the mutts nuts.

ATB

Colin ;)

Hi Colin

the rifle is fresh out of the box from the factory, no customising at all, that way I can enter comps for factory rifles and also use it in mil style comps as well. I considered having a full custom done, but wasn't prepared to wait 14 months before I could enter anything so I bought this as a "fill in" - I will spec up a proper F Classer in a few months and get it ordered for next year.

The reticule is a mil dot but the ladder type, I cannot get onto my phot server at present but when I can, i'll post a pic of it - even at full mag, the lines only cover a small area at distance (and its a first focal plane scope too so I can use the mil dots at any power)

Just waiting for the mrs to complete her shower and i'm off to see how it shoots, don't expect fantastic groups just yet as i'm doing a ladder test an barrel break in this morning. ;)

Hi Colin

the rifle is fresh out of the box from the factory, no customising at all, that way I can enter comps for factory rifles and also use it in mil style comps as well. I considered having a full custom done, but wasn't prepared to wait 14 months before I could enter anything so I bought this as a "fill in" - I will spec up a proper F Classer in a few months and get it ordered for next year.

The reticule is a mil dot but the ladder type, I cannot get onto my phot server at present but when I can, i'll post a pic of it - even at full mag, the lines only cover a small area at distance (and its a first focal plane scope too so I can use the mil dots at any power)

Just waiting for the mrs to complete her shower and i'm off to see how it shoots, don't expect fantastic groups just yet as i'm doing a ladder test an barrel break in this morning. ;)

hi Andy

i know the ret,

i just don't know how to use it,i have a pick on photo bucket but its down at the mo, i will post a pick if you don't beat me to it.

looks a nice out the box rifle, Andy, maybe you could go right through the load development proses with us,and post up the picks of the groups she shoots.????

did you say you where going to shoot a ladder test???? i have done one before, but i think i shot it at to close a range (100y) i think i should have shot it at 300y minimum

ATB

Colin :P

Ok Ladder test done, but due to ground conditions shot at 100 not 300 yds - (couldn't be bothered karting about 50lbs of kit across muddy fields) to do the test.

I'll post a full report later - its' interesting and it shoots ;)

Just bear in mind every load shot was a different powder weight....

Oh, here's an image of the P4 fine reticule:

img003.jpg

Fired twenty shots, giggled all the time....

Chris, the rifle took one week from order to delivery, but I said i'd have any cancelled order - usually there's a 6 month wait.

JR

thats what I was told by the man from Sporting Services and iv'e no reason todoubt it, first five shots were clean after the second patch!

Youre going to tell me that it isn't a 5R?

JR

thats what I was told by the man from Sporting Services and iv'e no reason todoubt it, first five shots were clean after the second patch!

Youre going to tell me that it isn't a 5R?

Easy to tell, count the number of lands at the muzzle end. Push a patch up the pipe until about 1/2 inch from muzzle, makes it easier to see the lands. Could very well be, I just don't do that many 5r for AI works, other than custom jobs.

JR

Jr

thanks i'll have a check later, not that it makes much difference now. The barrel is extremely easy to clean, maybe easier than my other border barrelled rifle and thats a cut jobbie.

Ok

barrel break in and ladder test data.

I loaded 20 assorted cases (a mix of Norma, Remington and Sako brass) that I had lying around my loading room with Speer 168g Match Boat tails.

The cases were full length sized and de-burred, thats all.

I checked the max OAL (rear of case to Ogive) in the chamber and using the split case method, got a consistant seating depth of 3.200 incl Sinclair Comparator, which is OAL = 2.200", reduing this by .010" give a seating depth of 2.190"

I loaded the twenty cases with Vit 140 starting at 39grains increasing in .3 grain increments up to 44.7grains. My Sierra book tells me max load is 42.3 grains - I didn't expect to go much higher than 43grains

Arriving at the range, I saw the ground was too wet to set up at 300yds, which is what I originally intended, so I used another section at 100 yards.

Set up the kit (chronograph and rifle) then boresighted the scope.

First shot

img005.jpg

High and right.

Re ajusted the scope moving the ret to the point of impact whilst remaining steady on a rest and cleaned. It took two patches and there was NO fouling, just powder.

I then shot one, cleaned and wrote on the target the shot placement for the whole twenty shots.

I had to move the aiming point a couple of times as the "groups" were getting messy and it was bad to see the shot numbers, which is why the target below looks like it does:

If you "full size it" it might be easier to read what happens with the corresponding table underneath:

img004.jpg

Ok

Shot 1 - 39g = 2387 fps

Aim point centre of diamond

Shot 2 39.3g = 2386 fps

Shot 3 39.6g = 2395fps

Shot 4 39.9fps = 2411fps

Shot 5 40.2fps = 2442 fps

Move Reticule and change Aim point to thick horizontal bar above diamond apex

Shot 6 40.4g = 2444 fps

Shot 7 40.8g = 2495fps

Shot 8 41.1g 2510fps

Move ret and change aim point to cross to right and above diamond apex

Shot 9 41.4g = 2519fps

Shot 10 41.7g = 2554fps

Shot 11 42.0g = 2569fps

Move aim point to RHS of diamond

Shot 12 42.3g = 2536fps Now at MAX Load according to Sierra 5

Shot 13 42.6g = 2569fps

Shot 14 42.9g = 2615fps

Shot 15 43.2g = 2650 fps

Move aim point to LHS of diamond

Shot 16 43.5g = 2642fps

Shot 17 42.8g = 2641 fps

Shot 18 44.1g = 2697fps

Move aim point to dot below diamond

Shot 19 44.4g = 2705fps

Shot 20 44.7g = 2730fps

Whilst 100yards isn't ideal for this type of testing (I really wanted to break the barrel in and see how it shot as well rather than do things scientifically) I think that this shows that Vit 140 is not what I need (neither are the 168g Speers) The velocity is not high enough, I suppose I could attempt to put more powder in the case, as there were NO pressure signs at all at the last shot despite being 2.4 grains over max printed load.

However, accuracy - well there are certainly accuracy nodes at loads 9and 10. 14 and 15. 16 and 17.

Things would be easier to read had I shot the target at 300 yards and not had to resort to moving the aim point around.

Like I stated at the start of the Ladder Results this is not a grouping test, as every load is different.

I have some Lapua brass on its way and Scenar 155's which I hope will attain in the region of 2900fps, with Vit 150 / 550, if the weather holds out till the weekend, I might be able to stretch the legs and go further using the same aim point.

DSC00501.jpg

How does it shoot?

Trigger is two stage mil, long first stage, very crisp and light 2nd (about 2lbs).

There is no perceptible recoil :P you don't lose sight picture with the brake fitted, which is nice.

The stock has an ajustable cheek piece which allows a very good scope / eye alignment when its ajusted to me.

The scope - well I aint seen anything better ;)

I'll update further when a package from Rugby arrives ;)

Guest northernchris

I looked at one in .243 and was told as you say min of 6 months wait from date of order.Looks good Andy i shot 1 in .308 and with the muzzle brake fitted recoil was very tame.

The brake fitted to AI,s is fairly basic...but it works. However, a lot of people dont really realise it, but the design of that stock, has an awful lot to do with taming the recoil, its very well designed indeed, and positively soaks it up.

There are quite a few in use at diggle, including the 300 win mag , and that barks ;)

Looking good Andy, and with your comments on easy clean, and very little fowling, i,d guess is it a 5r, as this is one of its good points.

A very nice bit of kit there andy ;) ;) I shall look forward to hearing how she shoots over the forthcoming months........

All the very best...............

RAY....................... :D;)

Guest Black Dog

Great rifle Andy.

Can anyone tell me exactly how the AE differs from the AW rifles. I know that the AW is military spec and the AE is aimed at the civilian market but what are the actual differences, even the AI site is a little vague on this subject.

All the best

Pete

The main difference is the AE is a round action, the AW a square action.

The AE uses a V block center spine chassis (like the AI Rem 700 conversions)

AE.jpg

(photo borrowed from another AI shooter)

the AW has purpose fitted aluminium chassis that is permanently bonded and bolted to it.

AW.jpg

(photo borrowed from another AI shooter)

Barrel changes with the AW are a matter of twist on and twist off, barrels for the AE are a gunsmith fit.

No difference in accuracy, but durability,,, well the AW wins hands down.

Archived