Shooting bags

I was having a sort out in my toyroom the other day and found a shooting bag I bought in the states last year that I had forgot about.I have heard that Zircon sand is the best for filling them .Where do I get it from? how much ?etc

Thanks

Gary

If you want it heavy yes, monoclinic zirconia sand with about 5.8 g/ccm.

Unitec ceramics used to make it in Stafford. Now I think in South Germany.

Plastic beads or injection moulding raw material would also do but

is much lighter.

edi

I wish I known it came from there I was up at unitec about a month ago pricing up the removal of haz waste out of the place I would have got you some.

If you were at Stafford you could have called into see Shootingbags for the real deal :rolleyes:

If you were at Stafford you could have called into see Shootingbags for the real deal :rolleyes:

they take some beating

Gary,

Stuart Anselm (a part-timer in the gun trade) as Osprey Rifles in Oldham has supplied Zircon sand to the Diggle BR crowd that he gets from the USA.

It's not cheap, and it really is super-dense. The main customers are benchrest shooters who don't carry their gear any distance, but who want the bags / rifle set-up to be really stable on the bench.

It's not only super-dense, it's super fine-grained, so it 'leaks' and bags regularly needs topped up. It escapes though stitching and other joins where ordinary kiln dried stuff stays put!

Stuart's contact details are 0161 408 3555 stuart@ospreyrifles.com

(He's the precision Savage / custom Savage gear guy.)

Laurie

Gary,

Stuart Anselm (a part-timer in the gun trade) as Osprey Rifles in Oldham has supplied Zircon sand to the Diggle BR crowd that he gets from the USA.

It's not cheap, and it really is super-dense. The main customers are benchrest shooters who don't carry their gear any distance, but who want the bags / rifle set-up to be really stable on the bench.

It's not only super-dense, it's super fine-grained, so it 'leaks' and bags regularly needs topped up. It escapes though stitching and other joins where ordinary kiln dried stuff stays put!

Stuart's contact details are 0161 408 3555 stuart@ospreyrifles.com

(He's the precision Savage / custom Savage gear guy.)

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the info . I am ok with my supply though, I fill the Dog-gone-good bags with plastic ( either regrind or pellet ) as with them being a nylon weave material sand would work its way out and the last thing you want between a bag and your nice stock is sand ! Sand is perfect for leather type bags .

Once again, thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info . I am ok with my supply though, I fill the Dog-gone-good bags with plastic ( either regrind or pellet ) as with them being a nylon weave material sand would work its way out and the last thing you want between a bag and your nice stock is sand ! Sand is perfect for leather type bags .

Gary,

The Zircon stuff is too heavy anyway for anything other than out and out benchrest. Your plastic filler is far more practical for field use IMHO.

Cheers mate,

Laurie

Archived