Two 6.5x47 rifles!!!!

foxing2night

Been trying to find the load for my AI-AW in 6.5x47 For a couple of weeks!!!

Well today i found the bugger????? And with the 123 grain scenars aswell

re 15 = 38.6

123 scenar

gunpics070.jpg

The differance came with the use of cci 450 mag primers instead of ccibr4 primers

Av vel = 3034 sd of 7

gunpics067.jpg

Thanks to lambsey for his company ;)

We then back off to 270yrds,, Dialed it in and shot??? Both rifles were shooting well under

2" and in the center aswell!!!! Did not have a chance to shoot any varmints!! because this bugger scared us to death and we went home????

gunpics068.jpg

:o:o:P

Nice one fella, new you would get it in the end. How did Lambsey get on with his?

Will have to catch up and go for a shoot soon.

Jay.

Nice one fella, new you would get it in the end. How did Lambsey get on with his?

Will have to catch up and go for a shoot soon.

Jay.

Cheer,s Jay,,,

When are you coming for a play my mate???

There is some nice bunny,s nocking around just waiting to meet us???

Not as big as that bugger in the pic !!!!!!!

More,s the pity,,,,,

See ya soon

Glad you found a sweet spot! Think you are on a highish node and I have been there too!!backed off just a bit to around 37 to find another one.Keep trying the 120 amax if you have some and stick em in the lands a bit ?take care anyway,regards onehole.

Cheer,s one hole,,

Just glad to fined a good load???

Three weeks of testing and i was getting a bit down!!!!

I do fancy the 120 amax and the 120 bergers,,,,

It does seem to like hornaday bullts and the cci450 primers,,,

Happy days????? :rolleyes:

All the best Darrel

Had a quick play today with my 6.5x47- used Greg's (Editor of "NZ Hunter" mag) new sound-treated 100yd range. Really controls the noise- standing beside the report-trapping box, it's like having a .22 rimfire go off about 6 feet away. The long-suffering neighbours will be thrilled as he has some -huge- toys he regularly tests. That's a perspex window around the box and the shed needs positive air pressure from a wall fan or you just get mirage down the sighting tube

Here's few pics of the setup:

post-3559-1255242026_thumb.jpg

post-3559-1255242125_thumb.jpg

That's not my "Tim the Tiger" gun!- it's my other clubmate's :D

A close-up of the business end reveals some extra holes- he tells me some cleaning patches punched through the 1" ply.! These patches held in forming loads of 35grs of shotgun powder in his huge .375 wildcat. Lesson- blanks deserve respect

post-3559-1255242045_thumb.jpg

Here's a group Greg fired while doing some development work for a client- it's a composite group of 8 shots from a 7mm RUM at one grain increments from 93-101grs (new TrueFlite barrel)

Anyway, decided to try my std load against a slightly increased one, as well as a W748 load.

38grs of Varget behind the 123 Scenar gives 2941 av vel and an ES of 18 for 5 shots.

38.6 of Varget gave 2968 av vel and an ES of -7- .

39.5 of W748 gave 3025 av vel and an ES of 31

Here's two groups fired one after the other, ie I didn't fire a fouler when changing to 748. The 748 group may have possibly been better if I'd done this.

post-3559-1255242152_thumb.jpg

Chris-NZ

Hi Chris,

That looks like a realy good set up there mate!!

That 7mm rum is a shooter for sure,,

I bet that it is a bit costly to run though :D ???

The thing that i find realy funny is that you got a good group with your 6.5x47

At 38.6 the same as myself ,,,, Mine with re15 and yours with varget same fps and the same sd of 7,, Have not tried the varget yet but i will at a later date???

3000 fps seems to be were it is all hapening with this calibre???

Should be awesome at 600

We shot one group each at 27oyrds and i measurd the group size yesterday all shots were under 1.5" and it was just plonking them in for fun,,,,And that was with the 95 Hornaday ballistic tips

with 39g of re15 running at nearly 3200 fps,,

I have had good results as soon as i swoped over to cci450 primers?? it is a differant rifle!!!

I shall try some h4350 next week and i will post my results as soon as i can,,,

All the best Darrel

do you think that the cci primers would give a more consistant fps than say a federal 210m primer, i was just wondering with my own loads for my 6.5-284

do you think that the cci primers would give a more consistant fps than say a federal 210m primer, i was just wondering with my own loads for my 6.5-284

Hi Spud,, Not sure about 6.5-284,,

Someone on here should be able to give you an answer?????

But i would say !!! Give some ago????

All the best Darrel

Archived