Setting up a private range - What paperworks involved?

Guest Tiff

I've been offered the chance to help set-up a private outdoor range on some farmland.

Currently we run it as an infomal 'zeroing' shoot with only peole who hold open tickets etc etc. However the landowner is keen to find out what is involved with making it 'offical' and as such being able to have target clubs shoot on it.

I'm guessing the MOD no longer asses it and it is now done by the police? If so where could I find a PDF document/website etc with all the nessecary guidlines that must be met before a range is given approval.

Most importantly information on danger area sizes for different types of ranges/targets. Also how high the butts must be in order to qualify as not requiring a danger area.

I can't say much on the place at the moment, for fear of hindering an application. However will add it is in the SW and has the potential for a 100-1,000 gallery range and 200-1,200 yard ETR range.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Tiff

You need to talk to a gentleman called Frank Haxton. He is the civilian responsible for certifying ranges in the UK. I dont have his number, but if you maybe ring the NRA office, they may give it to you. If you get really stuck for it, pm me, and i,ll ring our club secretary.

Tiff,

Try droping IanF a Pm, I believe he has recently had planning granted for new ranges also in SW.

Part of his ranges are within a disused tunnel, I'm sure he could offer help/insight to all you require !!

Have a look here

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=5490&hl=

Good luck with the idea, looking forward to a visit in the future.

Cheers Steve

Archived