HELP-Wilson Hand dies

Toby

Of course after taking the advice of forum members I decided to give hand dies/arbor press a go.Well-to start off with Sinclair sent me a kit without the neck die :( . Then tonight, after the neck die arrived a few days ago I decided to give it a go.

Following instructions I cleaned the die and tried a fired clean cartridge in the die before installing the bushing to make sure that the cartridge fitted.Well to my amazement it didnt fit,it was about 5-6mm proud before using the press and still approx 3mm away from the case being flush with the wall of the die as per instructions.

I used more force than I liked but still no joy plus the case now got firmly stuck on the decapping pin.I managed to tap it all free without leaving any marks but by this stage well pissed off.I am presuming that I now have to send it to LE Wilson with 3 fired cases so they can adjust the die to my chamber.Why do things always have to be difficult.

Have any of you hand die users experienced the same problem?Also, should the fired cases push pretty easily into the die or do you need to use a bit of effort? Any tips or advice very welcome.

PS cartridge is 222 Rem- Toby

Of course after taking the advice of forum members I decided to give hand dies/arbor press a go.Well-to start off with Sinclair sent me a kit without the neck die :rolleyes: . Then tonight, after the neck die arrived a few days ago I decided to give it a go.

Following instructions I cleaned the die and tried a fired clean cartridge in the die before installing the bushing to make sure that the cartridge fitted.Well to my amazement it didnt fit,it was about 5-6mm proud before using the press and still approx 3mm away from the case being flush with the wall of the die as per instructions.

I used more force than I liked but still no joy plus the case now got firmly stuck on the decapping pin.I managed to tap it all free without leaving any marks but by this stage well pissed off.I am presuming that I now have to send it to LE Wilson with 3 fired cases so they can adjust the die to my chamber.Why do things always have to be difficult.

Have any of you hand die users experienced the same problem?Also, should the fired cases push pretty easily into the die or do you need to use a bit of effort? Any tips or advice very welcome.

PS cartridge is 222 Rem- Toby

Toby,

You shouldnt need any force when using the dies. The case should will not however drop straight in. It will stick out of the die by roughly the length of the neck ( with bushing fitted).You then need the press to size the neck.

If in doubt take it to a riflesmith that has a 222 rem reamer and have them check it out for ya. It might just need a polish on a laith.

Ads

I think that somethings definitely not right, tried some new unfired Remington brass in the die and it dropped straight in no problem.Tried used Norma brass and the bloody thing stuck on the decapping rod again-getting fed up with this :)

Hi Toby,

Wilson dies are bored to minimum SAAMI spec, so if you are using a factory chamber its not uncommon for yor brass not to fit, its just a case off your chamber is bigger then the dies.

I had the same thing happen with my 6mmBR Cooper and had to polish .003" out of the dies.

Take your dies and a fired case to a smith or skilled machinist and ask them to polish out the dies untill the case enters without any resistance but not so loose that it wobbles.

Ian.

Thats what I figured, the rifle in question is a bog standard Sako 75 with original barrel and a huge sloppy chamber :o I am going to return it to Wilson who will fix it for free.2 other questions 1. I haven't even tried the seater die yet, is it likely that it also will need a rebore?

2. I am wondering if the fact that I have necksized the cases mentioned with a collet die(sandpapered mandrel for better bullet grip)has anything to do with the fact that the decapping pin stuck on the case?

Answers on a postcard please to: Joys of hand dies......

Thats what I figured, the rifle in question is a bog standard Sako 75 with original barrel and a huge sloppy chamber :D I am going to return it to Wilson who will fix it for free.2 other questions 1. I haven't even tried the seater die yet, is it likely that it also will need a rebore?

2. I am wondering if the fact that I have necksized the cases mentioned with a collet die(sandpapered mandrel for better bullet grip)has anything to do with the fact that the decapping pin stuck on the case?

Hi Toby,

just had to send my mates 6.5x47 dies back to wilson with 2 cases, e mail them, tell them your not happy. mine were sent, and back at my address within 12 days.

Wilson were great, but so they should be, it was there cock up!!!!!!

Had no other issues with the dies now, there spot on!!!!!!!

Thats what I figured, the rifle in question is a bog standard Sako 75 with original barrel and a huge sloppy chamber ;) I am going to return it to Wilson who will fix it for free.2 other questions 1. I haven't even tried the seater die yet, is it likely that it also will need a rebore?

Hi Toby, I use Wilson dies for four different calibres and had to polish out at least 1thou from the bottom third of all the dies to accomodate the web of the fired cases. Standard dies are a very tight fit for fired cases and almost always have to be eased a little. My cases also stood 5-6mm proud and required force to make them enter until I polished them out a little. Your seating die will almost certainly need easing in the same fashion, it's nothing to worry about, a small drill bit with some Scotchbrite wrapped on it gets the job done, just do it a little at a time till the case goes in and sits flush with the bottom of the die without force.

Not sure which calibre you have, but make sure the decapping pin isn't too large in diameter for the size of the flash holes in your cases, ie 6mmBR uses .308 boltface but uses small rifle primers and has a smaller than standard flash hole when compared to .243, .308 etc.

Not sure why you would use a collet die and then hand die so can't help out with that problem I'm afraid.

Hope this makes sense.

Pete.

It was just that the cases that I tried in the wilson had previously been neck sized with the collet die.The cartridge is the 222 rem. i am sending them back to Wilson to have them opened up, its as you said around the web area that the case fails to enter the die.-Toby

It was just that the cases that I tried in the wilson had previously been neck sized with the collet die.The cartridge is the 222 rem. i am sending them back to Wilson to have them opened up, its as you said around the web area that the case fails to enter the die.-Toby

Remember to put a couple of fired cases in with the dies when you send them. It really is only a matter of moments to remove the 1 or 2 thou required to let the cases enter the dies. I'm an engineering numpty but managed this simple task without drama.

Pete.

Archived