pitted barrel

swampy

a little while ago i leant my cousin my ruger m77 mk 2 in .243 win.

got it back rust and with a pitted barrel. :P:D;)

It makes me very sad, i leant it to him in good faith and it comes back f***ed.

The question is will it shoot straight? will each shot leave a bit more copper in the pits, tearing jackets of bullets?

Will it be knackered and new barrel time?

:rolleyes::wub:

Point out to him the issues and suggest he pays for a bore inspection. Then take it from there.

At least you will have some piece of mind either way as we all know a lot of good shooting is down to confidence in your equipment ( was going to say tackle but knew somebody would come back with a wise crack :D ).

At the same time your cousin forking out might have taught him a lesson.

You know the old adage, "never a lender or borrower be, etc

depending how bad it is, it could still shoot reasonalby well, however if you give it the bore a real good clean it probably wont shoot too well untill the pits have filled up with copper.

I found this with a remmy 700 in 243 i baught last year for a rebarrel project, the bore looked as though it had been in a saltwater bath for a week, firecracked and to put it bluntly totally and utterly f**ked. however i thought id give it a go and ran a good number of patches with JB bore paste and then cleaned. After 10 round the groups settled down (they were erratic to start with) however i loaded up some rounds and eventually got it shooting under MOA, but because it was so bad i left it in the cabinet as the state of the barrle wasnt filling me with confidence and as yet is still awaiting the trip down to brock and norris's!! (now the silage is in and the slurry is out i may just get a chance to take it down!!)

Bloody annoying that. Only once loaned my old .270 to my mate and it came back with a hint of rusting starting in the bore. Luckily no real damage done.

It's amazing how well a rifle can still shoot with a rusted bore. It seems that pitting is often far less fatal that you'd expect but a damaged muzzle is guaranteed bad.

Once did up a rough-as-gutz 788 Rem for a kid. Bore was a shocker I thought- patches gritted their way along as you cleaned it.. Anyway, here's the first group it shot. Couldn't believe it

Chris-NZ

I'm ashamed to say that my old work rifle (shilen barrelled Sako in .243) was pitted to hell in the bore and it still shot exceptionally. When I finally got rid of it, the whole rifle was basically buggered in some way or other but it still shot 3/4 inch groups all day long. Go and give it a good testing, you might be supprised. JC

• 2 weeks later...
Hold on a bit you guy's, lending out a 243, loaning a 270, isn't all this a bit iffy as far as the old bill is concerned???? It may be ok in NZ but in the UK its a no no ain't it

of course it's ok as long as he has a slot on his ticket.

anyway i shot it and after 10 rounds it settled down and shot fine. It never used to need any shots through to settle down, it used to shoot best clean and cold. but such is life,

swampy

of course it's ok as long as he has a slot on his ticket.

anyway i shot it and after 10 rounds it settled down and shot fine. It never used to need any shots through to settle down, it used to shoot best clean and cold. but such is life,

swampy

if you do lend it , he neds to inform the constaulary that he has it and reinforms them once he returns it , you cannot simply lend a firearm in the uk like you can a shotgun (which you can lend to somebody with another shotgun liscence for the maximum of 48 hours with out informing the police)

Archived