The end of 7mm WSM's?

Elwood

The 284 Win is a great long range cartridge.

Its even better improved and this is where somepeople are going with it for F Class,

Some go the whole hog and increase the shoulder angle (AI) others utilise a thou extra on the shoulder (diameter) and leave the shoulder angle alone.

The US shooters have been testing with RL 17 have gotten nearly WSM velocities from them (and I stress,,,,,,nearly)

and thats the problem with it.

Ok it will launch a 180 Berger in improved case at nearly 2900 fps.

BUT, it wont launch one at 3100 no way.

Thats a wind defelection difference of 5 inches at 1000 yards (10 mph crosser at 3 o'clock), enough to pop you out the V bull (if youre lucky) or out the bull if you miss the wind call.

Second best, even though greater barrel life, less powder, etc etc etc.

It wont buck the wind as well as the WSM.

Of course alot is down to the shooter reading the wind in the first place.

In the last Uk league match, I think only two guys were using 284 Win, one was standard the other had large diameter shoulder (Grant Taylor)

Of the Top ten (open) guys, I think there is only one non WSM.

Its good, but not just as good..

I must admit I thought he was reaching those velocities with 180 gr VLD's, he wasn't.

But he should be able to get over 3000fps with 168 VLD's with a BC of .617 as apposed to the .659 BC of the 180gr VLD, what would be the difference in wind deflection?

But I see your point Andy, if you're going to run the 180's you may as well be in it to win it.

Does anyone know when RL17 is expected in the UK, looks like it could change a lot of thinking about which powders people choose.

On a side note Andy, what do you carry your SEB rest in? or what do other people use, Sainsburys carrier bag perhaps:P

I,ve been thinking about one of these, Mr Fox seemed to think people were using something like them?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/gu...65-3024CFCF808B

Dont bother with the A-maxs personaly, a few use Carterucio's, some use 175 SMK.

Most use 180 Berger's...

I carry all my kit in a Arktis drag bag and the Seb by the handle (with the feet points retracted)

Some (southern softies) use powered golf trollies and peli cases for their kit :lol:

Us tight wad northern chaps carry all our kit without resorting to wheeled witchcraft trickery :lol:;););)

Elwood,

I have to agree with Andy here. If you're mortgaging the house and sending the kids into the town centre to beg from strangers to help support a 'habit' that's more expensive than heroin addiction, you've got to go the whole hog! Or you have to if you want to win, except on nice calm days.

An alternative is to 'downsize' to F/TR, and that's what we're seeing with a steady trickle moving across - the Diggle event a few weeks ago was the first GBFCA League round that had more F/TR than Open competitors, 20 v 18.

Laurie

• 1 month later...

Hi All , The F Class has become an arms race to squeeze every ounce of advantage at the firing point which equals inches at 1000 yards . People have tried all sorts , 30-338's , 7mm Boo Boo's , solid bullets , bullet pointing & now running WSM's around 3,150 to 3,200 ft/sec . As we all know there's no such thing as a free lunch and cases last one to three firings and barrels drop to 500-600 rounds .

All this is great and works well when you can misread wind calls and still get a five when the guy next to you gets pushed just into a four !

Downside to this is ' Money ' To run with this method and that's what is unfair . I still think the best shooters will shine through without this advantage it just means you may get the odd rich bloke's name next to yours in the leauge table !

regards

OSOK ( SOUTH ish SOFTIE )

Archived