Calibre advise

MJR

I curently shoot 243 and 6.5 x 55. Both are sporting rifles, Tikka 595 and Sauer 202 and used for stalking and short range (100/200yd) range work for fun. I have started reloading and seen an increase in accuracy in both rifles and now I want to extend the ranges at which I shoot. I am thinking of building a rifle for this purpose and would welcome your thoughts on which calibre to go for. I am thinking of 308 as I see it as a sensible step up in calibre from my existing rifles, believe it to be accurate and reloading items are readily available. I know its not the ultimate long range calibre and looses out to the likes of 6.5x47,284 etc but would I ultimately see the differnence in real terms? What do you think?

Spud, fair comment. But both have light weight barrels and I find after three shots the groups open up. I know i'm not going to be rattling off loads of rounds but wonder if there is an improvement to be had. I visited Diggle to watch the benchrest guys at 600 yds and although I don't fancy that type of discipline their accuracy was great and would like to try longer range shooting. Thats really why I am leanng towards 308 as its allowed in Ftr and although probably not competive with other calibres in open class it would give me the chance to work up through different ranges.

Guest varmartin

.308 win or even a rifle in 7.62 can be picked up very cheaply......either, in the right build weight will be ideal for what you require ...

Look on `Gun trader` for a Parker Hale TX 1200 or another Target type rifle...even one with aperture sights, pull them off , fit a scope base and target scope ...then start shooting at long range ...

It is not neccessary to spend £1000`s on a rifle when an `out of trend` Target rifle can be converted...most of them still shoot extremely well...

There was one on here a while back in the classifieds ... that one went south to one of the Cornish fruit slayers ...!

I have personall seen 5 maybe 6 Parker Hales in 7.62 converted to scoped long range tools shoot very small groups at stupid ranges .....

I would have bought one aswell but a Musgrave came along at just the right time so i snapped that up ...put a 20 MOA rail and a Nightforce on her.

I have not shot it in any F class comps ...not my thing, but it has accounted for quite a few Bunnies well over 500 yards ...

The simple answer is most, if not all centerfire calibres will easily reach 1000 yds.

However, not all will do so accurately and or consistantly.

Alot also depends on your rifle, consistant small groups will not be shot from a featherweight barrel (its too much to ask when the barrel heats and starts moving)

You could find in guntrader a PH as Martin suggests, if that suits, go ahead, there are more than a few on here who have success with them.

You could find a secondhand tikka, sako, Rem 700 etc in 22-250, 243, 260 Rem, 308 etc and use it (maybe not the 22-250 or 243 out the box) or have it rebarrelled into something that will consisatntly achieve what you want.

Calibres,, well the worlds your oyster;

with the right twist rate, .223, 22-250 will do it.

6mm Rem, 243 :rolleyes: , 6mmBR, 6mm PPC (up to 500),

6.5x47, 6.5284, 260 Rem

284Win, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WSM, 7mm SAUM

308, 300 WM, 300 WSM.

All viable long range cartridges.

Ive probably missed alot out, as I have with potential rifles of choice.

If the budgets there, build a custom or semi custom, if its fun on a budget (and theres no point jumping feet first if youre not sure) go the PH or re-barrel route.

What about re-barreling the Tika into 243 ackley ?. It would save money & no variation required. It would give you a cheap rifle capable of long range accurate shots.

Ads

Archived