Rechambering a round

1967spud

I was thinking about this all day yesterday and how to ask the question, here goes.

Imagine you seat your bullets touching or in to the lands on your rifle. If you come to the situation where you have chambered a round in the rifle and for some reason you have to unload your gun. Would the bullet tip be ok if its getting marked by the lands, for a second shot? As you cant line up exactly the same way how it was lined up the first time it was chambered. Does it effect accuracy, velocity, or any other paremeters?

If you see what i mean.....

My take on this is as long as the changes are symmetrical, it should have virtually no effect.

I remember reading a systematic test a guy once did hacking projectiles to see what effect there was on accuracy . He did all sorts of -nasty- cuts and chops of the front end of the projectiles and it was amazing how little effect there was. Nick the base and that's a different story..

So it seems there is nothing to be concerned about if your softnose suffers a little deformation in the mag or gets a slightly bent nose of the feeding ramp. Might be a good case though for carefully chamfering the inside of necks when you trim them.

Chris-NZ

Archived