New AI AX338

ChrisF

What do you guys think of the NEW AI 338 rifle , AX338 , due to be released start of next year ?

Looks like a mechcano set , rails every where , 10rd double feed mag , larger dia bolt etc , for pics go to snipershide , rifle section , " have you guy seen this " .

Later Chris

Larger bolt is a very good idea and CIP length mags, other than that......... fugly.

Looks like AI has decided the yanks are the main market - with a production facility there.

The AW rifles had something very BRITISH about them. The AX looks like another Ashbury or Tmberwolf (metal stock)..........not inspired.

On snipershide - pic posted, what is it, (Tom Irwin...its an AI AX), wow brigade start with the cool aid.

I can remember when the L96, L96A1 (AW) rifles were released - you knew exactly what they were without asking.

David

Copied it across for ease, it was a bugger to find :)

2vw649j.jpg

Yes. Fugly ;)

Predictable really (or is it? AI reacting to market forces still seems to be a new thing! :lol: ) , AI know that they won the last MOD contract on price, by a jaw dropping factor. Not saying who would have won on performance alone......but lets just say that this new AI looks like what you'd get after a few months if you accidentally let an in-season AWSM play in the garden with the rifle that performed best. :D .

Butt looks excellent, but it's just a remold of the current side panels to a magpul look I think (any AI-shooting injection molders on here want to give it a go?! )

Entirely random picture of another brand that may or may not .. etc awTimberwolf.jpg

Not so sure about the forend - playing to the 'en vogue & tacticool' market I think. Can't tell if they've put a bayonet lug on it too :lol:

...and a cocking Harris bipod?! For F sake. They were only on the new MOD buy because AI couldn't arse themselves to add a friction lock to the AI bipod....a modification that can now be bought for around £40.

But, bottom line; if they're still doing this way cheaper than the rifle that had the edge on the AWSM in performance terms, they'll keep their market.

Right, enough of that, where do we get our BORS for S&Bs??!

Short post, where have I seen this before.....

oh yeah, Brugger & Thomet APR1

(Side by side with an AW)

ComparisonwithAW.jpg

Well it is xxin similar to the AX338

I would imagine that the foreend is in response to the aftermarket parts available for AR's and the like. With the standard front rails you can now add all of your favorite rail based accessories to your bolt gun. Makes sense. You have to put a front end on a bolt gun anyway. Why not make it useful?

Thanks,

Rick

Archived