Basic rangefinder recommendations

A mate of mine is in the market for a basic stand-alone rangefinder. Not interested in combo units.

He feels he only wants to range out to 500yds on deer so a unit rated at 7-800yds should be OK in most conditions.

He saw an ad for the Leupold RX2 but a quick Net search suggests these are rather complicated to use.

What do you guys currently recommend? He's shouting his step-daughter and hubbie a trip to the US soon (unwanted lottery prize) so they can bring some back for him.

cheers

Chris-NZ

Leica 900 or 1200 definetly for me.

I have the older model and it is spot on. No gimmickry or gadgets to fanny with just point and shoot. The Leupolds got slated a while back for over complicated screens and poor results.

Good clear optics and the lit reticle gives you more chance in poor light. Leica.

Appreciate those comments guys.

Had a quick look on Ebay US and you can get the 900 model in various places for $459 shipped which is about NZ $645 so way better than $1175 retail here.

Any further suggestions?

thanks

Chris

A mate has a Newcon which was cheap (£200 sterling ish) from US but performance nowhere near on par with Leica.

Dark optics, loss of reticle in poor light and I could not get a reading past 600 despite it being a 1500 yd model B) . Ummmmm maybe a touch optimistic on the manufacturers behalf. I tried houses etc maybe I should have used a reflective road sign as that would mimic field conditions wouldn't it :D

With this in mind I wouldn't recommend them.

A mate has a Newcon which was cheap (£200 sterling ish) from US but performance nowhere near on par with Leica.

Dark optics, loss of reticle in poor light and I could not get a reading past 600 despite it being a 1500 yd model B) . Ummmmm maybe a touch optimistic on the manufacturers behalf. I tried houses etc maybe I should have used a reflective road sign as that would mimic field conditions wouldn't it :D

With this in mind I wouldn't recommend them.

I have the Newcon 1200, I can't get it passed 650yards. When the funds allow it I will get a Leica 1200!!

I would ONLY look at a new Leica , or a Swaro .

Be aware that the Leica,s are made in EITHER , yards or metres , so you need to chose which scle of meassurements you will use IT in , before buying .

Later Chris

Not quite right, my leica 800 has a little dial for yds or meters. I've heard of geovids not being able to change.

Chris NZ, I can really recomend the leica range. Really easy to use, one handed out of the pocket.

The 800 I have really ranges to 800yds.

I got it from a photo shop in Germany for 250 Euro new a few years back.

Smaller and lighter would be my only quest, otherwise the 800 does all I need.

edi

You must have the LRF800 Edi. The CRF 9&1200s are smaller- they say imperial dims 4x2x1. Pretty small anyway.

I once got an LRF800 from the US but it wouldn't read past roughly 300yds whatever the conditions. Sent it back and swapped to some 1000yd Bushnells but in retrospect, it was clearly faulty and I should have had it swapped. Sold the Bushnells a while ago and just stick with the Geovids.

Interestingly, got an email flier from Long Range Hunting the other day and SWFA US have the 10x42 Geovids at $1349 including rebate. Suggests to me Leica are about to release a new model.

Chris

You must have the LRF800 Edi. The CRF 9&1200s are smaller- they say imperial dims 4x2x1. Pretty small anyway.

I once got an LRF800 from the US but it wouldn't read past roughly 300yds whatever the conditions. Sent it back and swapped to some 1000yd Bushnells but in retrospect, it was clearly faulty and I should have had it swapped. Sold the Bushnells a while ago and just stick with the Geovids.

Interestingly, got an email flier from Long Range Hunting the other day and SWFA US have the 10x42 Geovids at $1349 including rebate. Suggests to me Leica are about to release a new model.

Chris

Thats the one Chris.

edi

Chris are you sure they were 10 x 42's I had a similar flier but I'm sure they were 8 x 56.

As I understand it the newer Leica crf's are one format only where as the older units are changeable from yards to metres inside the battery box ( no doubt this is the one Edi has).

Might be a deciding factor to buy the older model depending on your needs.

I don't find mine too bulky but I did machine some dummy plastic covers up so I don't have to use the pouch thing. This makes it alot easier to slip in your pocket.

Swarovski laser guide, basic as it gets, point and press out to 1600yds, yards or meters. I've had mine over 3 years now and it floats about in my stalking bag, been soaked, dropped a number of times and carries on performing faultlessly.

Can't fault it really. Paid £380 for it online.

Can't comment on Leica or others, but the backup from Swaro is second to none in the unfortunate event that a problem arises.

Dropped my 7x42SLC's from a highseat and broke the eyecups, asked Swaro UK if I could buy some more and they said no but we'll send you a set free of charge by return of post, which they duly did.

Pete.

Leica CRF 900. Or any of the second hand Leicas that sometimes come up, some got for around £200, mind you, I saw one sold in all of three minutes not so long ago.

hehehe that was my bargain buy!!!

got to agree with the leica recommendations. simple, accurate and a red illuminated readout so you can see it at night.

Archived