.284 Win

6mmBR

Just a quick one really, what sort of twist rate do you think would best stabalise a 180 Berger in a straight .284 Win case.

Velocities obtainable should be around 2800-2850 I think.

Cheers

Dave

Now you're talking! It is truly an excellent round! Had one, loved it, had another baby, sold it. (Used the left over brass to make 7.5 Swiss.)

I doubt if you will get the speeds you are looking at though. Maximum loads with a 160 back when I was loading for it had a 160 doing 2800 fps from a 24 inch tube from a bolt gun. As the 284 is a 60K cartridge to begin with, I don't know if you've got any wiggle room. (Unlike 6.5x55, etal) ~Andrew

PS: Be prepared to use a separate throating reamer. I was interested in shooting 170 RN but they were a bit too long for the standard throat without impinging on the powder supply.

Thanks guys for the replies, the 180's would be shot out of a 30-32" barrel, with a slow powder like H4831SC or Vit 165, so velocities should be obtainable.

Just thinking of the benefits of 7mm ballistics when my 6.5-284 tube dies.

I thought of a straight .284 as I don't fancy the real short barrel life of the 7 WSM's.

Cheers

Dave

Well, it's a fine choice. Back in the 60's a New Mexico gunsmith necked it down to 6.5, .257, 6mm, and .224. He ditched all but for the 6mm and 6.5 (the .224 gained nothing on a 22-250, likewise .25 over the 25-06) but always contended that the .284 was a fine enough long range round just as it sat. Back then, the choices for 7mm and 6.5 bullets were far more limited then they are today but with the 243 going Great Guns, there was a boon of 6mm bullets. I remember he made quite a few 6mm-284's for local antelope shooters.

Pardon the rambling....~Andrew

9 twist or 1.85" is best.

There is a chap going to the states pretty soon who has a Bartlein export permit - two barrel minimum order...I have contact details if required.

Am guessing cash up front may be required - it isnt me by the way.

.284 Win is ideal compromise with the Bergers, especially as you can get em to 2900 relatively easily which retains barrel life.

As opposed to the WSM's

.284 AI or Shehane may be a better option just a bit more velocity and almost equal of the WSM,,,,almost .

Dont forget that the WSM's have ruled the roost and will do so untill something that fires higher BC bullets at 3000 fps comes along.

Hard lesson learned by the US team this year at Bisley, I suspect next time they return with WSM or similar derivatives.

Archived