The Lamp Test

The Lamping Test. Part One

Well here I will be undertaking a test with a Cluson 1 Million candle power Lazer light, a Cluson 2 Million candle power Blazer and a Lightforce 1 Million candle power 240 Blitz.

The Lamps.

The Lazer light is seven years old and I have only recently replaced the reflector(only because I tried to clean it and the mirror finish came off) apart from that it has been a faultless, no new bulb or failed switches. It has a coiled lead with a cigarette fitting, so if need be it can still be used in the car for spotting.

The dual bulb feature is a real advantage, the small bulb has little drain on the battery, and is great for helping you see the lever on the gate, and for getting over obstacles without lighting up the whole area. It has a rocker switch which is located above the handle, and is very positive.

P1180711.jpg

The beam is very good, and if need be can be adjusted to your specific requirements, but this means taking the lamp apart and once set, it would be very hard to adjust it once in the field.

The fitting of a filter is also very good by means of an extra housing that screws onto the main body of the lamp (the choice of colours are of course a personal choice) and the filter can be flipped up when the white light is needed.

P1180713.jpg

P1180712.jpg

It has a coiled lead, and can be used with the scope mount fitting for sole lamping and will not hinder the use of lamp or rifle.

P1180720.jpg

The Blazer is the same weight as the Lazer and also has a cigarette fitting, and double bulb, a straight power lead and sometimes this can be a pain as it gets caught up when getting over fences/gates. The only fault that I have found with this lamp is the switch is opposite to the Lazer light, so when you think you have put it on main beam, the secondary bulb comes on!!! I have looked at the unit hoping to turn it round but too no avail, its riveted.

P1180721.jpg

The Light force Blitz 240 is lighter that the two Cluson's and the lens is twice as large, the trigger switch is positive, if not a bit loud in operation, but as long as the wind is in the right direction, it's not a big problem.

P1180694.jpg

The unique factor with the Lightforce is that you can adjust the beam when needed by turning the main body of the lamp, from a tight spot to a flood beam.

P1180697.jpg

P1180709.jpg

It's fitted with a coiled lead cigarette fitting, which is slightly longer than the one on the Cluson.

One downside that I have encountered is when out lamping in a strong wind, the wind buffets the lamp and it can be slightly difficult to hold it steady for the rifleman to take a shot.

P1180718.jpg

The Clulite and Lightforce comparison

P1180693.jpg

Now for length of time used in the field with the same power packs.

I have a belt shoulder pack with four 12volt 10amp batteries and a 12volt 17amp shoulder pack.

The Lazer lite plugged into the four pack will last for a very good session, and even when having a thorough scan about on main beam, it has never run out and died no me.

The same can be said for the Blazer, and the same result using the 12v 17amp battery.

The Lightforce however drains the battery pack, so a bigger battery will have to be purchased (a golf trolley battery in an old backpack should do the trick)

I will be undertaking a field test with all three lamps, and power packs, so look out for part two coming soon..........

Good review idea. Real world testing with no bias towards advertisement results.

I was thinking about doing a similar thing with bullets. If we all have a favourite bullet and we all just did one write up each I am sure collectively we would have a good database for future reference.

What do you all think? (I don't want to pinch Kips thread though.)

Its funny that you should put up a post regarding Lightforce Kip

I'm in the process of playing around with HID bulb conversions for the 170 & 240 at the moment.I'll put up the details when I've had chance to give them a thorough workout which looks like it'll be after the Midland

Ran the lazerlite for years, and found it a good lamp for using with a running dog.Then bought a 240 blitz, and amber filter, a few years ago, at the midland.If you can cope with a big battery, i think its the best lamp on the market. Spot to flood [dead handy with a dog ] and has a very good range without a filter.

Archived