.222 load testing

kip270

Well having recently installed my reloading bench, i set to work making up loads for the .222.

Last year i made some loads up using 52grain Berger's but then moved so no-more reloading till now.

So first up was 5 rounds using Fed primers and 19.5 grains of Reloader 7:

Then 20grains of R7

106_1862.jpg

Then 20.1grains of R7

106_1877.jpg

and onto 20.5grains of R7

It certainly looks like 20.1grains of R7 is the ticket

106_1890.jpg

106_1892.jpg

This is a 5 shot group, and the one shot on the outside ruins the group, but that the downside of the S & B on 12x, the cross hairs are too thick for target shooting as it blots out the dot......

I have also found my shooting range for using my GONG:

106_1882.jpg

The oak tree in the middle of the field is 450 yards

106_1883.jpg

The furthest hedgerow is 650 yards

106_1888.jpg

Yes another vote for 4198. I used that behind some 40 grain hollow point sierras and it gave excellent groups. I will find my data out if you want me to.

Also had a good load with 25 grains BLC 2 and 50 gr Sierra soft points.

I use Norma 200 and get excellent groups,have been thinking about trying Viht n 130 when the Normas empty.Can only get hold of Norma/Viht and Rhino powder here.

As a side note, ordered an arbor press kit from Sinclair last night, cant believe how pleasant/helpfull the staff are :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I chrono'ed my 50grs Blitzking loads at the weekend and was a little disappointed that they were chugging along at 880m/s.I was hoping for a bit more.The Sako I shot with has a 56cm barrel, most test data that I see is from 60/61 cm barrels.I am already slightly over max with this load but with no pressure signs.I am thinking about loading in 1/2 grain steps until I see pressure signs.What do you guys think?Both accuracy and es are excellent(es spread 10m/s).

I am not after 22/250 speeds but think that it should be 50-80 ms more?

What speeds are you're accuracy loads running at?

The data I am using at the moment is

Remington cases

Federal 205 primers

Sierra BK 50grs

21 grains Norma 200

C.O.L 54mm

I am getting 880 M/S with this combo from a Sako 75 with 56cm barrel.

Hi Toby,

I haven't got use of a chrono, but looking at the data from my manual, the 52gn Bergers should be at least 3000fps.

Maybe a change in powder is needed, just a quick look and yours are doing 2887fps

Took this from Reloaders nest

LoadID4283BulletSierraBulletWeight50 grsPowderNorma 200PowderWeight21 grsPrimerCCI-400Brass MakeFederalBarrel Length24 (inches)C.O.L2.185 (inches)Velocity3078 fps

• 4 weeks later...

Tried something new, the previous loads mentioned where loaded using Forster BR dies.The loads that I shot today were new Remington brass sized with the wilson hand die and .245 bushing.

Where as last time I got 880 m/s for 21 grs of N200 today I got 910 m/s for the same load.

I also tried a load of 22 grs N200 (same 50grs Blitzking) and got 970-980 m/s which is what I think it should be doing. It is over max in the manuals by some degree but no obvious pressure signs,primers and pockets fine. I am happy with these speeds but seeking advice as to whether you guys think I am pushing it pressure wise(max is 20.3)Best accuracy was with the 21 grs load. Advice from 222 owners especially welcome :)

Archived