load help pls?

bluebell

Hi I have Hodgdon Benchmark powder and want to load .243 win with a 100gr bullet but the website only lists Benchmark up to 70gr. Is this because it isnt suitable for heavier loads? If not how much powder should I use my best estimate from looking at the data for other powders is somewhere between 33.5 and 36.5.

Why do I never sort these things out before I sit down to reload :rolleyes:

cheers

Jan

Bluebell,

It looks as though Benchmark is not really suitable.

According to QL , the max load will be about 34.5 gns giving a 77% full cartridge for 2790 fps. with a muzzle energy of 1730 ftlbs - marginal for Roe, as you will be aware.(Edited to add- However, be aware that there is only 77% of the case taken up and it may well be that you are venturing into dangerous territory here with the possiblity of detonations. I would strongly recommend changing your powder).

Usual disclamers apply. If you wish to pursue this, start at 10% lower and work up as usual, at your own risk.

Reloader 22 or VV N160 are better choices, I have found.

Peter

Why not get some lighter bullets such as the 68gr Bergers as they would suit your powder, also most .243 rifles do not shoot as well with heavy bullets. [i have a couple, a HB Sako and a Tikka standard weight.]

Those Bergers are ragged one-holers in my Sako .243, I use 75gr V.Max. in the Tikka.

HWH.

Thanks but the reason that I ended up with such heavy bullets was that I couldnt find anything lighter at the time and was compleatly out. That will teach me not to let stocks get too low :rolleyes:

Hi Bluebell, Wouldn't have thought Benchmark is suitable for 100 grainers , burn rate to fast for the heavy uns.

Think I would either buy some lighter bullets that you could use as a varmint or foxing round...70 grain Seirra Blitz kings work well

or buy a more suitable powder , H414 or Vit 160 would be a good choice.

Alan

At the risk of putting another spanner in the works, what's the twist rate of the tube ? If it's the normal 1 in 10 then it's too slow to stabilise a 100gn pill anyway, so finding a workable load becomes a moot point. Just a thought that may save some time....

Cheers,

Pat.

Archived