A few stock alterations

When I had these two rifles built I didn't really know that I would be getting into long range shooting, particularly F class style shooting using front rests and rear bags. The two rifles that I wanted to use neither had F class type stocks, so I was in a quandary.

I couldn't bare to pull the stocks off these two rifles, the laminate would be basically unsellable unless anyone else wanted an A5 stock with a Stiller Viper inlet. Also I know how much work some one from this site put into making it what it is, and that being stunning. The AI I could sell, but plain and simple, I don't want too :)

So I took them both down to Neil McKillop ( Dasherman ) to see what could be done. I had already seen a 3 inch wide F class for-end shoe on Sinclairs website and thought perhaps this might be the way to go, however I wanted something that was made to fit each rifle and look the part and could also be taken off very easily.

Anyhow this is what Neil came up with

Front shoe for my 6BR, held in by two hex bolts underneath, it tracks perfectly.

rest1.jpg

To ride the rear bag, again fixed with two hex bolts

rest3.jpg

For-end shoe for the AI, this uses a different fixing that incorporates the accessory rail, it also slides over the bipod stud.

rest8.jpg

rest10.jpg

Rear bag slide

rest9.jpg

Typically excellent work by Neil.

As soon as James Clark has his spray booth up and running I will get them Duracoated to match the stocks.

Looks good Ian

as suggested, I think the final design was what I envisaged.

Both look like they will track well upon firing.

The AICS you could do nothing else with.

The Russo, maybe I would have created an inlet for the ally insert so it sits as a "lowrider" - although this would be a permanent fitment rather than removable as you now have...

Neil has done an lovely job, I trust they both shoot as well as they did?

Looks good Ian

The Russo, maybe I would have created an inlet for the ally insert so it sits as a "lowrider" - although this would be a permanent fitment rather than removable as you now have...

Neil has done an lovely job, I trust they both shoot as well as they did?

I wanted a removable on the Russo because I also intend to use this rifle for McQueens and will need to fit a bipod, although I will have sharpen up my act as the action is a single shot non ejector, so feeding it will have to be slick.

The 6BR shoots low .1's three shot groups and mid 2's five shot groups with either 90 gr or 105 gr Scenars. Hopefully I'm off to Bisley on Sunday ( so long as work allows it ) to put it through its paces at 300/500/600 yards.

The 7 WSM, has a mind of it's own, a load that shot 1/4 inch at 200 yards now struggles, so I think I will go back to RL25.

I used it yesterday without the brake (need to speak to you about that) or the sound mod, it's actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The 6BR shoots low .1's three shot groups and mid 2's five shot groups with either 90 gr or 105 gr Scenars. Hopefully I'm off to Bisley on Sunday ( so long as work allows it ) to put it through its paces at 300/500/600 yards.

Well Streaker and I may just bump in to you there. We will be on 300 all day - just look out for a familiar TRG ;)

Well Streaker and I may just bump in to you there. We will be on 300 all day - just look out for a familiar TRG ;)

Jan, if I make it I will be on Century all day, starting off early on 300 yards, hopefuly there will be another two members from this site there as well.

Hope to bump into you and Grant.

Ian

Ive always found (and a few others) that RL25 provides the most accurate load for the 7mm WSM (regardless of which derivative)

I know you are running less OAL than me so dont replicate this load, but my accuracy load with the 180's is 67.6g.

Gives me 3108fps with an ES of 8.

Extremely accurate out to 1k and beyond.

If the Bergers are being arkward, try 175 SMK or 168 A MAx.....

• 1 year later...

ian is it possible to have a photo off the bootm off the rear ally please to see how it attaches to the stock as i am about to do a similar thing to my sako varmint stock. thanks buddy

Archived