Proofing?? Please explain

The concept is a novelty in NZ. Some of my factory guns, eg old BSA .270, have proof marks on them but as for getting rebarrels "proofed", no need here.

What sort of (over)loads do they feed through them? One only? What about wildcats??

Chris-NZ

It varies Chris, on what they have available. I believe a std proof round runs about a third overcharge, which is huge. Whenever i chamber anything out of the ordinary, i ring and ask if they require loaded rounds. If they do, i send a maximum charged round [ two actually] according to the manuals available. The proof house then fire the first, and oil the second. This vastly increases case thrust against the bolt face, and is deemed a good substitute for a hugely overloaded case. this is quite obviously a position of trust on their part, that i will supply a max load. it wouldn,t be in my interest not to really.The gun needs testing properly.

The proof laws are archaic, and desperatley need overhauling however.

For my .30-338 LapMag, I had to provide the proof house with my theoretical MAX load and they then loaded 5% and then 10% above that.

Considering it was my own wildcat it was a bit worrying providing a MAX load without being able to know for sure where it's limit are.

All a bit daft and pointless really!

Archived