Night vision scope / goggles

auquhollie

I am thinking about night vision. The uses would be getting into high seats in the dark, Spotting deer at first light & fox calling.

Do any of you lads use goggles and to what degree?. What distance's can you see too and how clear.

Thanks

Ads

I have a pair of goggles i dont use in gen 2, as i use other gen 3 monocular for scanning ,personally if you do get some,try get one with mag,say x3 i have a monocular,its x1 good for 20-30 yds,after that its hard to make out what you are looking at and they are gen 3.but after that range i have a x3 addon lense which increases the dist. as you do need to know what your looking at.you dont want shoot the farmers dog.

And if you do buy any,if you can get gen 3 or equivelent then you wont be buying twice.big diff in 2-3

Mick

Apart from climbing into high seats before light, a monocular used for spotting by the eye opposite to the one you're going use looking through the scope to take a shot is often preferable as after an extended period looking through NV you are left with very little natural vision in the eye you've been using with the NV. Hope this makes sense, those that have used these methods will understand my meaning. Goggles are good, but it leaves both eyes knackered if you're going whip a lamp on to take a shot after you've turned the goggles off.

If you're going to use NV to shoot with as well then it is best to spot with the eye you are going to shoot with as it will naturally be adjusted by the spotting kit when you put your head to an NV scope.

Some may disagree, but it's what I found to happen and have used NV extensively, and found that "dark eye" can leave you floundering around for a minute or two.

Pete.

Agree with you there pete,well brought out.also with monocular,if for fox,depending on what model,you can get a attachment to add to your eyepiece.not great,esp in the dark.just another point,advantage,than goggle.

And nothing worse than,having two eyes exposed to green light.

Mick

Apart from climbing into high seats before light, a monocular used for spotting by the eye opposite to the one you're going use looking through the scope to take a shot is often preferable as after an extended period looking through NV you are left with very little natural vision in the eye you've been using with the NV. Hope this makes sense, those that have used these methods will understand my meaning. Goggles are good, but it leaves both eyes knackered if you're going whip a lamp on to take a shot after you've turned the goggles off.

If you're going to use NV to shoot with as well then it is best to spot with the eye you are going to shoot with as it will naturally be adjusted by the spotting kit when you put your head to an NV scope.

Some may disagree, but it's what I found to happen and have used NV extensively, and found that "dark eye" can leave you floundering around for a minute or two.

Pete

i have an old gen1 monocular and had never tried buggering bout with it but.....

i went and got a clusonIR filter for my 2 milllion candle power light and bugger me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it like friggin day light and works great as a tool for a quick general spy before flinging lamp light all over the place and disturbing things

now i have a new HD sony cam corder with NV and a "super" NV mode so im gonna try it witht he 2 million candle power light to see if it could make a good monocular also

cheers

sauer

Was having a look at these

http://www.atncorp.com/NightVisionPrevious...ies8900Crusader

Anyone anything to say about these ?.

Ads

Ads, that's a gen 4, which you will not be able to get legally.

If I were you I would have a chat with Clive Ward, he's a member on here under that name. He deals in NV and is a straight guy to deal with.

At the moment he still sells for my money the best bang for your bucks dedicated NV sight there is going.

http://www.nvscopes.com/night%20vision%20s...0HTH%20731.html

If you just want a monocular why not get something that can at least be mounted to your day scope? it will never compete with a dedicated unit as a weapon sight but you do get the best of both worlds.

The Starlight Archer springs to mind, although I haven't heard many rave reviews about them, or depending on your budget a PVS - 14.

I'm afraid NV is all about budget, it's difficult to recommend units without knowing what people have to spend, anyway I suggest you contact Clive and see if he can help you out.

Hi mate,i have a ATN 6900 in gen 2,never used,as its crap. ive heard a lot of bad saying about ATN,that they use or use to use,russian seconds,? true or not,i dont know,

Also as for GEN 4 i heard no such thing as gen 4 and this is just the usual gen 3,say gen 4 as a marketing ploy ? again from sources in in the states at OPTICSHQ where i got all my gear from.

Personally id stay away from ATN. if i was gonna buy one, id look at the D-760 which starlight in manchester who deal with the archer ?, same body as the one i use in gen 3, made from hard plastic materials, and very light. and easy to use, unlike ATN.

Call them or look on there website

http://www.starlightnv.co.uk/rifle-scopes/...,,,,,,,,,highly recommeneded

Hope this helps

Mick

yeah looking further it all loos wrong. The ebay seller has ended both his auctions early for some bizare reason ;) . I will check out the lonks posted above and see whats on the go.

Ads

What about that KITE sight on the bay ? or is that a bit pricey,?

Yeah i am watching that at the moment. They seem a good enough scope ?

Ads

check this out,not sure if its been sold yet,no doubt it has at the price he was selling.kite nv.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=96552

Just sent him a PM. Hope its still there :rolleyes:

Cheers Micky

Ads

Be wary of buying Kites, some of them have fallen off the back of a lorry. They also do have some problems, the main one being reticle jump when focusing so I'm told. For night viewing they are awesome, but you have to remember what they were designed for, the inverted chevron ret highlights this.

I had a hypo-gen Maxi Kite for quite a few years and loved it, but to be honest they are a bit of a NV dinosaur and getting them repaired is difficult to say the least, I knew of only one person that worked on them. I ended up selling it and buying a D -760 instead. The D-760 is superior in every way as far as I'm concerned, it's light, has 1/4 inch adjustments unlike the kite which has 1 inch clicks, the ret is the best I have seen and can be red or faint yellow, it's smaller and more compact and doesn't need a special mount made.

But as I have already said for the best bang for your buck is one of Clive's hypo-gen dedicated units.

I should add, be wary of buying any second hand NV as sometimes things are not what they are hyped up to be! Could you tell the difference between gen 3 and a good gen2+....? nope me neither, but rest assured the gen 3 will cost you anything up to £500 or more!

Starting out with NV is like walking in a minefield blindfolded Ads. Contact someone like Clive Ward for up to date and genuine info on the latest gear and prices.

I sold my Kite a few years ago while it still had some financial value. As Elwood said, there is better out there for the money nowadays.

Hope you've got deep pockets now you're stepping onto the NV rollercoaster :rolleyes: .

My modified AI cases arrived today, cheers Ads.

For spotting I now use a Yukon Excelon 3x50 Gen 1 monocular mounted on an ally bar alongside a LF170 with a piece of infra red sheet (£20), as has been said this set up is a cheap and useful way to spot before lamping out to about 250-300yds depending on light conditions.

Pete.

Hi Thought I would chip in my 2 pence Has any one seen the latest NV from Pulsar Its called Digisight N550 these are surposed to be the latest thing. Ive heard that when these get going they will replace ths normal NV sights in about 5years or less. Also they will cost less. I have seen a digital monocular and looked through it the picture was quite good . I have been told That one of the main reasons for changing to digital was that the enemy forces only need to obtain a digital camera . to be able to pick up the location of our troops by detecting the IR beam from our sights

I dont know if this is true or not. Thought you might be intrested . Eric

Archived