Hand dies?

Toby

Thinking about getting one of the sinclair hand die kits and was wondering if it is likely that I would see an improvement over the current ammo that I reload? I use a forster co-ax with forster BR dies, a Lee collet die for neck sizing and a redding body die to bump the shoulders back when needed.I use mostly lapua and norma brass,however have some remington for the 222.I trim to uniform length and debur but do not neck turn or any of that stuff.I am very happy with the accuracy of the 3 calibres I reload(222, 6.5x55 and 308)but wonder if the accuracy can be improved without neckturning etc but by using hand dies. The cartridge I would be most interested in loading with hand dies would be the 222.Any fors or againsts welcomed-regards Toby

I use Lee Loaders for my .222 Remington. They are an inexpensive kit that is used in the same manner as BR equipment. Accuracy is as good as or better than my bench equipment-produced ammunition. One of my .222 kits features a micrometer seater and inside neck reamer -used when the case is in the die for extreme concentricity. I get BR quality loads from this unit when I keep to one single case.

That being said, I don't always use them and really, the 1/4 to 5/16 MOA for five shots I get from the bench mounted gear is rarely improved upon by the hand tools to the extent that my poor bench technique won't negate it. If you are happy with your accuracy save your money. If you still want to dabble, hit E-Bay for a Lee Target Loader in .222. It will cost less than $100 US for the entire outfit (including reamer, trimmer and priming tool) and will get your feet wet with hand tools. JMHO. ~Andrew

Thinking about getting one of the sinclair hand die kits and was wondering if it is likely that I would see an improvement over the current ammo that I reload? I use a forster co-ax with forster BR dies, a Lee collet die for neck sizing and a redding body die to bump the shoulders back when needed.I use mostly lapua and norma brass,however have some remington for the 222.I trim to uniform length and debur but do not neck turn or any of that stuff.I am very happy with the accuracy of the 3 calibres I reload(222, 6.5x55 and 308)but wonder if the accuracy can be improved without neckturning etc but by using hand dies. The cartridge I would be most interested in loading with hand dies would be the 222.Any fors or againsts welcomed-regards Toby

Toby,

I wouldn't of thought that you will find that it will not improve your reloading process, also you can only NECKSIZE with the hand arbour press.

Do you flash hole prep??

I found that neck-sizing and flash hole prep and neck turning did improve my groups in my .222, it's well worth the little extra work involved.

IMO the consistancy delivered by using hand dies and an arbour press will only be fully realised in a bench gun over thousands of rounds, however this consistancy can always be utilised in a varminting/hunting rifle.

I have been using this type of set up now exclusively for about 4 years now to load BR quality ammo but to me the biggest advantage of this set up is its portability and ability to set up almost anywhere.

Cost is a big factor when comparing to Redding Comp dies, a complete kit from Sinclair including shipping and tax comes in at almost the same price as a set of Redding Comp dies bought here.

extra dies sell for about £35 a piece.

Ian.

Archived