SPEER 85 gn SPBT's any good

sir-slots-alot

Chaps, Found a supply of Speer 85 gn soft point BT bullets for the 243.

These are roughly half the price of 87 Vmax , and have a B.C which is slightly better ( .404 )

Does anybody here have any experience with this bullet at longer range.

I am looking for an accurate load .... I have the following powders - Varget - H414 - Vit N140 - H380 .

Thanks .... Alan

Send some my way Alan- I've used the whole box for my nephew's .244 and can't find any more locally :angry:

Shame you're not a lot closer.

His father levelled an 11pt red recently with that projectile and it wasn't even a full-house load.

Chris-NZ

I have used this bullet with both Varget and Vit 140 with equal success.

38 grns Varget CCI large rifle primer and Lapua cases is my current max load.

I am currently working in Norway and cannot access my loading data for the VIT 140 rounds. I will be home next week if you still need any more info just let me know.

Cheers

These were my bullet of choice in my .243 till they became almost impossible to source a few years back. If I could find 500 I would buy them tomorrow,

more accurate and slightly quicker than the 85gr Sierra sp that I changed to and still use. In a 22" barrel with a reasonably mild load ( 43.5gr Viht 160),

they are superbly accurate and gave around 3100+ fps.

Mustard deer round, and unfussy about seat depth, apart from anyone called Alan using Fed. cases :D loading them, I would highly recommend them.

Only kidding Alan, they shot well with Fed. cases and better again in Lapua.

How many do they have, or is it to be a well kept North Western secret? :angry:

Pete.

I have used them for years, 46grs H4350, CCi BR primer, Rem cases, and .040" off the rifling, gives about 3200fps.

In my sako these will clover leaf at 100yds and will kill the likes of roe cleanly at all sensible ranges.

redfox

These were my bullet of choice in my .243 till they became almost impossible to source a few years back. If I could find 500 I would buy them tomorrow,

more accurate and slightly quicker than the 85gr Sierra sp that I changed to and still use. In a 22" barrel with a reasonably mild load ( 43.5gr Viht 160),

they are superbly accurate and gave around 3100+ fps.

Mustard deer round, and unfussy about seat depth, apart from anyone called Alan using Fed. cases :D loading them, I would highly recommend them.

Only kidding Alan, they shot well with Fed. cases and better again in Lapua.

How many do they have, or is it to be a well kept North Western secret? :angry:

Pete.

Pete , A friend of a friend has sold his 243 ( foolish man ). I was told he had 4 boxes of 87 Hornady SP's - when I got there I found they where in fact Speer 85 grn SPBT.

Anyway he wanted £50 for them - so I snaffled the lot.

Cheers Pete

Alan

Archived