6X47 VS 243AI

Looking to have a rifle put together that will be a dedicated long range fox stopper.

With this in mind looking for something in 6mm that will shoot as flat as possible out to 300yds.

Options considered so far are 243AI and 6x47. My problem is that I can only find limited info on the 6x47. I reload but not to extent of neck turning etc.

Anyone with first hand experience with either of these calibres please feel free to share them or point me in the right direction for further info.

Ta Muchly.

Paul

Looking to have a rifle put together that will be a dedicated long range fox stopper.

With this in mind looking for something in 6mm that will shoot as flat as possible out to 300yds.

Options considered so far are 243AI and 6x47. My problem is that I can only find limited info on the 6x47. I reload but not to extent of neck turning etc.

Anyone with first hand experience with either of these calibres please feel free to share them or point me in the right direction for further info.

Ta Muchly.

Paul

had a 6x47,got a 243ai both will get you to 3500-3700 with a 70-75 grn bullets depending on barrel length,both cases easy to form neck down 6.5x47 lapua brass in a 6x47 full length die with one pass,243ai just load and fire 243 brass,as to neck turning have your gunsmith use a no turn reamer.brass for the 243 is easier to come by and cheaper,as to which round is better,any fox shot with either won't know the difference.

atb paul

Deerless, have you looked at the 6mm Remington Improved?

Arguably the most balanced all round 6mm cartridge.

Based on the 7x57 case it has slightly more capacity then the 243AI and will equal or even better the velocity at slightly lower working pressure. and because of being about a quarter of an inch longer it has a longer neck as well, some say beneficial to both accuracy and reducing throat erosion.

Ian.

Rebarrelled my favourite do it all gun, M595 .243, to .243AI with a 1in9 twist 22" Pacnor tube, gives me 3680fps with 70gr Blitzkings over 44.5gr Viht 140

and now it's even more of a favourite, tempted to sell the rest and and just take this out for everything.

I'd considered the 6x47 but this seemed an easier route to take, even fireforming is no hardship.

Pete.

I've been running a 6x47 since Feb this year.

Easy to load for and I opted for a no turn chamber so its a case of pass a 6.5x47 case through a Forster FL die and load and shoot.

I've not tried it with lighter bullets as I found its devastating with 105 A max.

I've used this rifle for nearly all the filming with Andy and its pulled off some fantastic shots. I also use it for the shorter F class matches and it has shot some great scores. I have a lot of confidence in the ability of this round. Only problem is I've already put nearly 600 rounds through this barrel since Feb :lol: Accuracy is still superb and I would hope for 2500-3000 rounds out of this tube.

Its a great choice and it doesn't give up much to the .243AI

Cheers

Dave

Based on the 7x57 case it has slightly more capacity then the 243AI and will equal or even better the velocity at slightly lower working pressure. and because of being about a quarter of an inch longer it has a longer neck as well, some say beneficial to both accuracy and reducing throat erosion.

Ian.

Good suggestion. In front of me I have cases in .243 and 6mmRem: the latter would be a good choice anyway, accurate, flat shooting, nice to handload because of that long neck... The Improved version would indeed be even more desirable.

TonyH

I've been running a 6x47 since Feb this year.

Easy to load for and I opted for a no turn chamber so its a case of pass a 6.5x47 case through a Forster FL die and load and shoot.

I've not tried it with lighter bullets as I found its devastating with 105 A max.

I've used this rifle for nearly all the filming with Andy and its pulled off some fantastic shots. I also use it for the shorter F class matches and it has shot some great scores. I have a lot of confidence in the ability of this round. Only problem is I've already put nearly 600 rounds through this barrel since Feb :lol: Accuracy is still superb and I would hope for 2500-3000 rounds out of this tube.

Its a great choice and it doesn't give up much to the .243AI

Cheers

Dave

Dave just out of intrest, How many rounds have you put through your 6mmbr

cheers

JTF

My first barrel on my 6BR died at 4500 rounds, it didn't have much rifling in the lead and was firecracked.

It still shot fine but I wasn't sure how much longer it would go on.

Dasherman has not long ago fitted a new Krieger tube for me. Just running it in but its looking good with 87gn Vmax.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Been running a 6 x47 for over a year now , no problems at all , super accurate , flat shooting , plenty of stopping power. it seems pretty tolerent to different powders and bullets .

mine is a 1 in14 twist and shoots a berger 60 grain mef at 3850 fps and is accurate with no signs of excess pressure , infact i think you could probably push it quite a bit more.

only down side was lack of reloading data but more people seem to be running them now.

spider

Ian.

Peter my 20BR builder is a big fan of the 6mm Remington round, if he rates it take note.

A

Peter my 20BR builder is a big fan of the 6mm Remington round, if he rates it take note.

A

Thats thrown a spanner in my plans, why did someone have to mention a 6mmAI cos now I have read a little about the calibre,

I'm certainly interested.

Anyone got one and if so what bullet weight are you using. I would be interested in the 75/87grn range.

A now very confused child in a sweet shop.

Making a choice in 6mm is going to be tough. I run a 6mmBR and .243AI, the 6x47 was another I considered but was advised that it was tough on barrels, I don't know anybody that shoots 6x47 so have no first hand information as to whether that's true or not.

Mansfield isn't a million miles away from me and if you want to try them under field conditions you're more than welcome.

I'm sure somebody else within reasonable distance has a 6x47 that they'd let you try, I can't help you on that one.

I would imagine you'll find 6mmRem a little more difficult to locate for a tryout.

No neck turn 6mmBR and .243AI a doddle to load and superbly accurate in match grade barrels.

No great difficulty with 6x47 as far as I could gather when I was making my choice.

Pete.

Thats thrown a spanner in my plans, why did someone have to mention a 6mmAI cos now I have read a little about the calibre,

I'm certainly interested.

Anyone got one and if so what bullet weight are you using. I would be interested in the 75/87grn range.

A now very confused child in a sweet shop.

Paul

give me a call this will save you banging your head on a brick wall,I have done field and load testing between the 243Ai and the 6x47

which one do I use the 243 AI

when have you had a 6x47 ???? and what testing have you done ???? you have been out with me a couple of times,and that is it.hardly grounds for making an informed opinion. is it??

the 6 x 47 lapua is very very near the equal of the 243. running a 75g bullet mine had 3" drop out at 300 with a 1" high @ 100 zero. i was getting 3671 FPS and this was not maximum load. and it does all this for less powder. and it was very very accurate.

I have now swapped for a different caliber,but it is still in the same case,and it is the 6.5x47 Not been out with it jet as i have a broken leg.

I can not stand people that shove there opinions down others thoughts, and they believe there caliber is the best. this is never the truth and can not be proved as we all have different needs.Hell we would all be shooting the same round if this was true. and the law according to Pete is 243 AI and 7mm wsm And just because he uses them they are the best,

well I'm afraid it just ant that way.

the truth of it is they both have good points

but y would you want to (1) fire form 100 cases when you can get nearly the same speed for less powder and no case prep at all.

because that's the thing with the 6 x 47 lapua you don't have to do any case prep and you don't need to neck turn just load them up and when you pull the trigger think hell now that is accurate.

ATB

Colin ^_^

ps Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.

It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstien

when have you had a 6x47 ???? and what testing have you done ???? you have been out with me a couple of times,and that is it.hardly grounds for making an informed opinion. is it??

the 6 x 47 lapua is very very near the equal of the 243. running a 75g bullet mine had 3" drop out at 300 with a 1" high @ 100 zero. i was getting 3671 FPS and this was not maximum load. and it does all this for less powder. and it was very very accurate.

I have now swapped for a different caliber,but it is still in the same case,and it is the 6.5x47 Not been out with it jet as i have a broken leg.

I can not stand people that shove there opinions down others thoughts, and they believe there caliber is the best. this is never the truth and can not be proved as we all have different needs.Hell we would all be shooting the same round if this was true. and the law according to Pete is 243 AI and 7mm wsm And just because he uses them they are the best,

well I'm afraid it just ant that way.

the truth of it is they both have good points

but y would you want to (1) fire form 100 cases when you can get nearly the same speed for less powder and no case prep at all.

because that's the thing with the 6 x 47 lapua you don't have to do any case prep and you don't need to neck turn just load them up and when you pull the trigger think hell now that is accurate.

ATB

Colin :D

ps Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.

It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstien

Col

I know your spoiling for an argument here but you aint going to get one

first of all its the othere way around

YOU HAVE BEEN OUT WITH ME

and more than a couple of time I may add,trying al manner of bullets and powder ^_^

the AI out performed the 6x47 end off

quite right Ciol I havnt owned a 6x47 but it felt i did the amount of times it was at my house and on my testing ground

good luck with your new rifle and get well soon

PS

Sean is still waiting for his powder you owe him,he would have like it before he started his new job on Balmoral

would you like his number to arrange it with him

Col

I know your spoiling for an argument here but you ain't going to get one

first of all its the other way around

YOU HAVE BEEN OUT WITH ME

and more than a couple of time I may add,trying al manner of bullets and powder ^_^

the AI out performed the 6x47 end off

good luck with your new rifle and get well soon

Not spoiling for an argument. just setting the record straight from an unbiased point of view.

something you are clearly incapable of doing. it shows up every time someone asks what is best.

I'm not saying the 6x47 is better than the 243AI what I'm saying is it is nearly its equal for a lot less hassle.

and it only gives up a few FPS that in the real world equate to nothing.

Tell us Pete what was the crono readings when we did your rifle and mine with my crono.?

did the 243ai beat it by a massive margin??

ATB

PS y would i want to argue with you, when you never admit when your wrong, now do you. Now if history on the net tell us anything it tels us that :D:P

Sorry i have just checked my data and a 75g Vmax was going @ 3679.1 FPS and was deadly accurate.

ballistics on this set up are as follows

100y 1" high

125y 1" high

150y .75 high

200y .25 high

225y zero

250y .25 low

275y .75 low

300y 1" low that's 3" @ 300y drop.

so you can just point and aim at anything out to 300 when out foxing. now just have to sort that wind out. ^_^:D

and a 105g Amax i was getting 3073 FPS and they where very very accurate. but for what i wanted to do i thought they had a bit to much drop IE @ 1" high @ 100 the drops are

100y 1.00" high

125y 1.00" high

150y 0.75" high

175y 0.50" high

200y 0.00" zero

225y 0.50" low

250y 1.00" low

275y 1.50" low

300y 2.00" low so that is 6" low and a bit to much for me.

this was my finding having actually owned one. :P

ATB

Sorry i have just checked my data and a 75g Vmax was going @ 3679.1 FPS and was deadly accurate.

ballistics on this set up are as follows

100y 1" high

125y 1" high

150y .75 high

200y .25 high

225y zero

250y .25 low

275y .75 low

300y 1" low that's 3" @ 300y drop.

so you can just point and aim at anything out to 300 when out foxing. now just have to sort that wind out. ^_^:D

and a 105g Amax i was getting 3073 FPS and they where very very accurate. but for what i wanted to do i thought they had a bit to much drop IE @ 1" high @ 100 the drops are

100y 1.00" high

125y 1.00" high

150y 0.75" high

175y 0.50" high

200y 0.00" zero

225y 0.50" low

250y 1.00" low

275y 1.50" low

300y 2.00" low so that is 6" low and a bit to much for me.

this was my finding having actually owned one. :P

ATB

Must be having a "moment" Col, but on your last figures what do you mean by "300y 2.00" low so that is 6" low and a bit to much for me", where do you get the 6" drop from??

Must be having a "moment" Col, but on your last figures what do you mean by "300y 2.00" low so that is 6" low and a bit to much for me", where do you get the 6" drop from??

Hi -

sorry my mistake i forgot to say i was working in MOA

so you have to x the 2" by the distance to covert it to your drop so this means my bullet is dropping @ 300y = 3 x 2" = 6" and the 2" on my chart is what you would adjust your scope to, IE 2" on my scope is 8 clicks

Hope this helps

ATB

Colin ^_^

Right lads ,

Very good thread!!!!

Please forgive me for saying , please keep things on a good note because we do not want anyone falling out and being rude and being removed!!!! :P

I know you will understand and i thank you for reading this!!! ^_^:D

All the best........................

RAY..............................................

What made you change to the 6.5 if you already had the 6x47 up and running?

i was after just one rifle to do everything. Don't know if i have it yet as I'm yet to try it.

the 6x47 was a single shot with a #7 contour barrel so not very good for stalking.

so i swapped bolts on my 270 wsm and made a 6.5x47 after a long wile looking in to it.I'm hopping a 120g will run at about 3000 FPS and get the job done for me.And that's the only reason.

ATB

Archived