.30x47 Lapua

.30x47 rifle review in this weeks' Shooting Times.

Interesting choice of calibre - I don't quite get why he went for a 1-10 twist when he was only using 110-150gr bullets. Surely a 1-12 or even a 1-14 would have been better suited for this range of bullet weights.

Interesting artical, thanks for sharing.

Seems a bit odd using N130 under a 30 cal bullet but the barrel is very short. With mods now the norm shorter barrels and faster powder may be a road to look at.

A

Very interesting article. I like bruce Pott,s article,s...he,s usually up to something interesting. I cant help but wonder though, how that round is different to the 7.62x39 russian ...the AK47 cartridge.

Ballistically, I would guess that the Russian and 47 are very similar.

The 30x47 is actually the parent case for the 6.5x47 (if you do a bit of research on the internet) which I found surprising as I had never heard of it before.

There is probably nothing "new" that hasn't been done before by someone somewhere.....

However, it looks like a useful "close quarter" woodland cartridge.

Maybe next seasons "must have" darling :(

Interesting project - though can't see much advantage over the 6.5x47.

I thought the 6.5 'Rapier' was supposed to be his ideal all round deer/fox round? Bruce Potts seems to be keen on having a custom rifle built, or a new switch barrel for his RPA, in every possible calibre! 338BR, 6PPC, .17rem, .20satan, .22satan, .308, .223, 6.5rapier, .30x47, the list goes on...

Archived