Group size

Scotch_egg

Just been out with my browning A-bolt with new barrel. Its the first time I've managed to get out for load development due to playing with my TC encore .243 and having too much fun. But seeing as the fallow season is coming up thought I had best get the deer rifle up and running. Now this is the first time I have measured group size. Excuse the caliper the battery has run out. Its reading .4 centre to centre on the 3 shot group. Have I measured this right? The lower hole has 2 shots in one. This was shot off bi-pod resting on a style over a dry stone wall. I think its minute of deer at least

P1010314.jpg

Scotch, get a new battery first mate and then identify the widest two shots of your group, measure from the outer edge of one shot to the opposite outer edge of the other, record the measuremant and subtract one bullet diameter this will give you your group size

For example: lets say edge to edge is .750" minus .243 = .507" centre to centre.

Ian.

You can either use centre to centre or use total outside group size minus ONE calibre.

Or 1.000 - .308 = .692" (for example)

There is a programme available that I use called On Target, its free and works very well, but you need to scan your target onto a computer to use it.

This is what you get when you use it

155gScenar5shotgroup.jpg

Looks like Ian and I were typing at the same time!!

cheers guys, new to this measuring. I'll get a battery in the morning and give it another go. D'oh.

Not got a scanner so can't use that programme, looks good though.

Just got to get some rounds loaded with the load so I can try for some better groups.

Right just to clarify, I have quickly measured the outside to outside edge at .6 on the caliper without battery. So on this measurement my calculation is

edge to edge .6 minus one bullet @ .284 (7mm) = .316

Have I understood correctly?

cheers

Scotch

Scotch,

You don't need a scanner to use 'On Target', a photo of your group loaded into your computer off a digital camera or phone will do the job just the same. And 'On Target' is a free download, give it a go.

All the best,

Jay.

Archived