An evening out on the reds

Well we decided since it was well past the first we would have an evening out to try and catch up with one of the stags we had been watching for a few weeks now. After going through the gates we dropped off the rover and continued on foot for about 2 mile. After about 50 mins of walking the forrestry track we dropped off down to our right. Withing 20 mins we broke out of the tree's to a veiw like this

DSC00933.jpg

We continued along the top of the wood untill we spotted a set of Antlers walking through the Bracken. Dropping down we counted 8 or 9 sets walking in single file. At a clearing in the Bracken they all stopped and started to feed on the heather/young grass shoots. Both myself and Andrew belly crawled right into 100 yards and got set up. I singled out a nice six pointer for Andrew and he settled into the shot. 2 mins later and there was a ring out followed by a thud. Andrew had just popped his stag cherry. It was down and the stags just walked off :lol: . Me being me racked the bolt and settled down on the nole Andrew was on. I picked out the back stag and dropped him. On reloading another round i dropped another. The stags at this point were still in range but enough was enough. We have a cull to make on this ground and being 3000 acres of woodland is not easy to make. Not during the day anyway.

We dont the field Gralloch's and headed out for the argo. We dropped the argo off the trailer and within 25 mins we were back at the motor with 3 stags. This would normally have been a four hour drag with three of them. Its about 1000 yards of steep bank right from the bottom to the top :D . Ground that the Argo seems to love. Or should i say i love in the argo :D .

Anyway few pics of the Stags.

Andrews six pointer.

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

The big lad i shot weighing at 98 KG dressed.

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

Good to see even my wee lad was enjoying himself (once i told him it wasnt rudolph) :o

DSC01234.jpg

Well i hope you enjoyed. Me and Andrew certainly did :D

Ads

Well we decided since it was well past the first we would have an evening out to try and catch up with one of the stags we had been watching for a few weeks now. After going through the gates we dropped off the rover and continued on foot for about 2 mile. After about 50 mins of walking the forrestry track we dropped off down to our right. Withing 20 mins we broke out of the tree's to a veiw like this

DSC00933.jpg

We continued along the top of the wood untill we spotted a set of Antlers walking through the Bracken. Dropping down we counted 8 or 9 sets walking in single file. At a clearing in the Bracken they all stopped and started to feed on the heather/young grass shoots. Both myself and Andrew belly crawled right into 100 yards and got set up. I singled out a nice six pointer for Andrew and he settled into the shot. 2 mins later and there was a ring out followed by a thud. Andrew had just popped his stag cherry. It was down and the stags just walked off :blink: . Me being me racked the bolt and settled down on the nole Andrew was on. I picked out the back stag and dropped him. On reloading another round i dropped another. The stags at this point were still in range but enough was enough. We have a cull to make on this ground and being 3000 acres of woodland is not easy to make. Not during the day anyway.

We dont the field Gralloch's and headed out for the argo. We dropped the argo off the trailer and within 25 mins we were back at the motor with 3 stags. This would normally have been a four hour drag with three of them. Its about 1000 yards of steep bank right from the bottom to the top :o . Ground that the Argo seems to love. Or should i say i love in the argo :lol: .

Anyway few pics of the Stags.

Andrews six pointer.

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

The big lad i shot weighing at 98 KG dressed.

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

Good to see even my wee lad was enjoying himself (once i told him it wasnt rudolph) ^_^

DSC01234.jpg

Well i hope you enjoyed. Me and Andrew certainly did :D

Ads

awesome photos there ads and a nice write up, a gorgeous bit of land there

did you have to drag the beast 2 miles or could you get a vehicle to it easy enough, otherwise thats a long drag

Well done Ads - hope i can manage to get up north this year and shoot my first

did you have to drag the beast 2 miles or could you get a vehicle to it easy enough, otherwise thats a long drag

Did you not read it all then Spud - he got it out with an Argo

Well done Ads - hope i can manage to get up north this year and shoot my first

Did you not read it all then Spud - he got it out with an Argo

lol me blind or what

Used to shoot on a forrestry syndicate there, looks like were we were.

Yeah your kind of right. Durris south block.

Ads

auquhollie

excellent post ,great pictures and some nice big deer. i cringe sometimes (not as ofter as i would like) if i shoot a big fallow buck with the extraction of the beast , before the argo it must of been fun/workout/endurnce test/pain /nightmare to get the animals out .........neil

I know where your coming from and you wont believe it but we only just bought the Argo two or three days before we shot them ;) . Prior to this it would have been a case of only shooting deer that we could have dragged out either by Quad or manually. The Argo is a very welcome tool that im sure will be put to good use. I am not shy of hard work. Infact i was brought up stalking in the highlands and there was no such things as quads or argocats. It was all by hand and they all came of the hill. Funny thing is back then you never thought anything of it. You just got on with it.

Ads

Good write up Ads,

and you are right, I remember walking up 4 or 500 feet in with an extreme gradient with 150 lbs on my back. Then put it down for a mile drag and finally ride them out on a push bike..................We used to enjoy a bloody good night in the pub afterwards, but it is all quads and argos now. The furthest drag last year with a hind was 850 yards as there was no way in with any vehicles.

Cheers,

j

Interesting write up Ads, amazed that your heather is in bloom, ours is at least 3 weeks off yet??

No its not in bloom yet. That was an old photo of the ground just to give you an idea of what its like. Wont be long now though, With all this sun were getting.

Ads

Nice one Adam used to get good money for antler in velvet & i know someone who is very good argo driver with plenty experiance of them. The reds are good but only when you got the equipment to handle them.

The Argo is certainly the machine for the job. I used them for all the work i done for the commission out on the west coast. To be honest it couldnt have been done in the timescale if we hadnt had it.

Ads

No its not in bloom yet. That was an old photo of the ground just to give you an idea of what its like. Wont be long now though, With all this sun were getting.

Ads

:blink: Just checking, expect others were wondering it was odd too??? Global warming???

I need to get some time off work an start chasing some staggies!!!! Reading thats just got me all filled with buck fever now! and i know iv still got another weeks worth of slurry to get rid of yet :(

Hi Ads,

Haven't been to Durris in a while, bracken must be some height now.

Last time I was up there a saw a few hinds in the valley. They were in

the same spot where we spotted them that time I took you up to show

you the ground.

Had hoped to catch the rut this year but as luck would have it I'm away

for 4 weeks over that period. B***er!

Hope to get up there at some point this coming week.

cheers

Steve

IMG_8784.jpg

Steve,

Yeah that was about the same area we shot the three stags. The bracken is right up now but you can still pick out the reds. At least you can see there heads, all you need really :lol: .

Ads

Archived