Rem 700 .243 Ackley

I have finaly managed to get my camera sorted out and get some pics sorted out.

IMG_1007.jpg

It started life as a standard rem 700 now it has a PSS stock, Timney trigger, Mag conversion, 22 inch Border Archer .243 Ackley Barrel, T8 Moderator, Soko Extractor Bolt Modification, IOR 6-24x50 Tactical scope

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

Whilst fire forming I managed to get some 1/2 inch groups at 100m with 6 rounds, I had 10 of 50 rounds that wouldn't chamber atall? Other wise I am quite pleased with it to start with. The scope is good low light and the iluminated reticle is great when it starts to get to dark to see the normal reticle.

I am planning on loading it with 105 Amax, I have Hogdens 414 and vit 160 in at the moment so any loads for the 105grain with either of those powders or any other powder would be apreciated

Regards

Dave

Looking good Dave!!! :wacko::blush:

The bit about the 10 out of 50 rounds not chambering sounds interesting , not being rude but first question is it a no neck turn spec on 243 Ackley???

Was the brass new????

If not was they full length sized ???

Personally if they are not new brass , should of gone for new....

Not being picky just trying to see why it happened in hope of being able to help to you!!!

I ran a RPA in 243 Ackley with a 1 in 9 twist........

Using the 105 A-max seated 10 thou into lands.............

Fed 210 match primer

47 grains of Viht N165..........

Or you can use Reloader 22 which gives you same performance!!!

New Lapua cases , fully prepped ( no neck turn ) from the off

The barrel was a 26 inch Border.............

Velocity with 47 grains gave me 3150fps and sweet accuracy!!!

Hope this helps............

All the best.............

RAY.........................................

Thanks Ray,

The brass was (once fired) Lapua a mate had given me when he got rid of his .243 it was not neck turned. I thought I had already fired it all once in the chambre of my standard .243 but I could have been mistaken. It is a 1:8 twist barrel and as far as I know it is not a tight neck or anything along those lines.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Ray,

The brass was (once fired) Lapua a mate had given me when he got rid of his .243 it was not neck turned. I thought I had already fired it all once in the chambre of my standard .243 but I could have been mistaken. It is a 1:8 twist barrel and as far as I know it is not a tight neck or anything along those lines.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave ,

Yea not being rude mate , just get new and you should not have any problems at all :wacko::blush:

This was my suspicion :blush: , go treat yourself to a new batch then you have no worries about being different batches either!! , take all the variables out and good results should be achieved!! :blush:

Have fun mate and let us know how you get on!!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blush: :blush: :blush::excl:

All the best............

RAY................................

• 1 month later...
Thanks Ray,

Regards

Dave

Thats your problem then Dave.

The .243win brass all needs to be full length sized before it gets fireformed in your Ackley Improved rifle. All chambers are not equal :D

Mark

I'll be interested to hear what you end up with as a load for the 105's. I'm currently using Varget and crawling along at about 2650fps but the accuracy is there. I need to sort something a bit faster as my current load runs out of legs at 1000 yards

Thats your problem then Dave.

The .243win brass all needs to be full length sized before it gets fireformed in your Ackley Improved rifle. All chambers are not equal :)

Mark

I'll be interested to hear what you end up with as a load for the 105's. I'm currently using Varget and crawling along at about 2650fps but the accuracy is there. I need to sort something a bit faster as my current load runs out of legs at 1000 yards

Hi Mark ,

If you are running a 243 ackley too with either a 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 twister , Viht N165 with the 105 gainers should give you good velocity and great accuracy too!!! ;)

I was running 47 grains of N165 in a 26 inch tube to give me 3150fps with 105 A-maxs.... :D

All the best.....................

RAY..................................

Cheers Ray

I'l have to get some powder sometime and give it a go

Mark

Hi Mark ,

If you are running a 243 ackley too with either a 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 twister , Viht N165 with the 105 gainers should give you good velocity and great accuracy too!!! :D

I was running 47 grains of N165 in a 26 inch tube to give me 3150fps with 105 A-maxs.... :D

All the best.....................

RAY..................................

Still fire forming 44 grains of Vit 160 pushing 87 grain V Max 10 thou off of the lands. If it shoots this well once fire formed I will be delighted. These were 2 three round groups of 10 in total the worst was sub inch though.]

What velocity does this load produce, Dave?

Dave

I notice you are fireforming with the bullets seated .010" off the lands.

I have found that you get best results (case forming) with the bullet jammed into the lands by .020" or more, that way one is guaranteed to have the case base up against the bolt face.

If you seat the bullets short, the strike of the firing pin on primer or even the extractor head / plunger can move the un formed case forwards in the chamber leading to a poorly shaped case.

Works for me in my 22-250AI.

Dave

I notice you are fireforming with the bullets seated .010" off the lands.

I have found that you get best results (case forming) with the bullet jammed into the lands by .020" or more, that way one is guaranteed to have the case base up against the bolt face.

If you seat the bullets short, the strike of the firing pin on primer or even the extractor head / plunger can move the un formed case forwards in the chamber leading to a poorly shaped case.

Works for me in my 22-250AI.

Great advise and should be taken as the how to fire forming your cases. as you are after a properly formed case in one go. the way you are doing it you could end up forming the cases on the second shooting as well.

ATB

Colin :D

Also

when fireforming, I use MAX (loading book) loads for the particular bullet weight I am using for fireforming.

I worked out as was said on here full length resizing was the problem with chambering, it was strange that some that had been fired in the old rifle would chamber and others wouldn't! Sorted now. I take the point re Interferance regarding OAL I will be sure to load any other rounds that way.

I have had a fox and a buck with it now so we are off and running

007.jpg

001-3.jpg

002-2.jpg

Dave

Guest Sprags
I have finaly managed to get my camera sorted out and get some pics sorted out.

IMG_1012.jpg

Regards

Dave

Oh momma thats nice!!

Archived