CAN YOU SEE ANY PIT FALLS WITH THIS IDEA

1967spud

As its says really, just done this modification to the top of me landy, i think its a good idea but i am open to veiws. Yes i am aware of low branches hitting it, thats why i can undo the bolts with wingnuts.

003.jpg

004.jpg

-005.jpg

I have my rack mounted inside of the roof, I climb over the bulkhead and pick the rifle up as I pop through the roof.

I see where your coming from having it mounted externally but you still have unsecure it before you can shoot?

Nice rifle by the way ;):D:lol: is that the 243AI?

Cheers

Neil

YES MATE .243 AI

new enthusiasm for up coming new lamping season

YES MATE .243 AI

new enthusiasm for up coming new lamping season

Nifty idea Mark!!! ;)

Be interesting to see how you get on with it!!! , and the 243 Ackley too!!! :lol::D

All the best..................

RAY...............................

Nifty idea Mark!!! ;)

Be interesting to see how you get on with it!!! , and the 243 Ackley too!!! :lol::D

RAY...............................

if i was to sell the ackley , what do you think it would be worth with out the scope

Not sure I'm keen on the idea unless your going to be stood next to it all the time whilst moving.

Nice looking rifle by the way.

ill be one hand on it qat all times whilst lamping other wise itll be in the opened hard case inside at back of buck, i know what you mean eldon but i think itll be ok i just need to try it

if i was to sell the ackley , what do you think it would be worth with out the scope

Hi Mark!!!

If you are thinking of this , please PM me!!!! ;):D

RAY........................................

Hi Spud ,I use a similar thing on the front of a quad at one place I do , I found I have to have bungie straps over the top to stop it bouncing out :huh: ,

isnt the rifle behind you though??

Cracking musket there buddy , looks like a 17hmr to me ;):lol::lol::lol:

That 243AI is one nasty tool, old basil aint gonna like being hit by that up the chuff ;)

Good hunting all the best Andy ;)

Mmmm two things that have already been mentioned really. Both involve hitting bumps unexpectedly, 1 knocking the scope off zero, 2 you getting unbalanced and watching your rifle enjoy a trip to the floor. Nem's bungie strap seems to be a good idea.

Can't you mount it inside? Bit of a gay comment but what if it rains? Mounting it outside just seems a little wrong to me, better to have it inside and upright IMO

Can't you mount it inside? Bit of a gay comment but what if it rains? Mounting it outside just seems a little wrong to me, better to have it inside and upright IMO

if it rains mate i go home , i will have it mostly inside but now and again itll be up top, there will be bungies on it as well and beleive it or not its fairly secure as it is but i will always have one hand on it whils lamping,

they are also handy for a 17hmr to sit on just in case we see any other fury creatures ;)

It looks pretty good if you'll be up there holding it and someone else is driving. The only thing I would add is a pin to go through the trigger guard of the rifle when it's in there. Simple and secure but more reliable than elastic straps!

It looks pretty good if you'll be up there holding it and someone else is driving. The only thing I would add is a pin to go through the trigger guard of the rifle when it's in there. Simple and secure but more reliable than elastic straps!

we usually go out with at least two other wise ill use a remote lightforce and rifle on front seat

how do you mean about pin through the trigger guard mate?

Looking at the pictures you posted you have two supports. One for the stock and one for the barrel. If you were to fix a block to each side of the stock support so the trigger guard sits snugly in between them you could drill through and shove a plastic pin through the trigger guard of the rifle. It couldn't jump out then becuse it would be held down in between the two supports. You also wouldn't have to p*** about with straps to use the gun. Just pull the pin out and lift the rifle out then when it goes back in the stand replace the pin again. Easy in the dark and quicker/less likely to fail!

Looking at the pictures you posted you have two supports. One for the stock and one for the barrel. If you were to fix a block to each side of the stock support so the trigger guard sits snugly in between them you could drill through and shove a plastic pin through the trigger guard of the rifle. It couldn't jump out then becuse it would be held down in between the two supports. You also wouldn't have to p*** about with straps to use the gun. Just pull the pin out and lift the rifle out then when it goes back in the stand replace the pin again. Easy in the dark and quicker/less likely to fail!

i know what you mean now and i think its a good idea ill have a tinker tomorow and see what i can fabricate

thanks mate

Spud, I used to have a similar set up on my Quad, it was good but vibration was an issue. I never had problems with the scope moving, probably due to good quality scope/mounts etc but I did have various pins fall out of triggers and safety catches. By the way, now that i've seen your photo I realise that we know each othe vaugely, I am based north west of you and we were chatting at the NGO clay shoot! JC

There is no way I would go with that Spud!

If my rifle is on top of the roof its in a full length zipped bag (zip open for quick access, but cannot fall out the ends). It must be very uncomfortable lamping and holding onto your rifle which is behind you?

Might have popped my old BRNO .22rf in it, but still wouldn't be happy.

But if it works for you then good on you. Give lamping in the rain a shot too, you might be surprised at what you get!!

Also when Reynard comes around on the wind and you have to shoot from behind, will those pegs not be in the way???

There is no way I would go with that Spud!

If my rifle is on top of the roof its in a full length zipped bag (zip open for quick access, but cannot fall out the ends). It must be very uncomfortable lamping and holding onto your rifle which is behind you?

Might have popped my old BRNO .22rf in it, but still wouldn't be happy.

But if it works for you then good on you. Give lamping in the rain a shot too, you might be surprised at what you get!!

Also when Reynard comes around on the wind and you have to shoot from behind, will those pegs not be in the way???

do a lot of rain shooting really, but not through choice, i f i have to shoot off the back thay arnt in the way as i can stand to the side off them. i wont use them all the time any way but they will be there just in case

Archived