Help needed to sort a bolt issue.

Help! I've had my Tikka T3 lite for around 10 years. I bought the rifle from a UKV member. And until now worked flawlessly.

However, the last time I used it, it started playing up. I would load a round, into the  chamber. The circled part is always showing as loaded when you cycle a round.

Then I noticed when I cycled the action, (empty chamber) the circled bolt indicator below, would on numerous occasions click back in out of sight.

I presume the part is called a bolt indicator?

The gun then fails to dry fire, and I have to cycle the action again and again sometimes it's fine and others the bolt indicator just clicks back into the bolt.

I'm after some info, any info as to the likely cause??

I was going to strip and clean the bolt as it hasn't been done for a while, but I'll wait you some opinions,

Cheers folks.

TikkaT3withboltpic.thumb.jpg.f85501d5ba5e6611028f8f3db52fd8db.jpg

Possibly the sear not engaging fully, take it out of the stock and have a look at the trigger mech, even better,take the trigger unit off and give it a good clean with air or paint brush and degrease

There are a number of potential issues 

I am guessing from the terminology used you haven’t stripped , cleaned and reassembled the fire control mechanism (bolt body, bolt handle, firing pin) or stripped off and cleaned the trigger in the ownership of the gun

If this is the case and you don’t know how to do it, take it to a competant gunsmith who can service the weapon for you 

There is a likely hood the following issues are causing the problem 

Detritus build up and rust of the firing pin causing it not to move freely in the captive fitting that Tikka uses to hold the bolt handle in place (the firing pin travels within this piece )

Detritus within the bolt body itself 

Detritus within the action

Buikd up of oil and detritus in the trigger causing sticking sear 

If the weapon has been allowed to become damp / No maintainence etc the list of factors could cause your issue 

Do what Ronin recommends.  I had the same issue with the Tikka actioned heavy gun and I rang Alan Maughan who made it.  He said it was most likely a build up of fluids, detritus etc.   He sorted it very quickly. So don't make it worse by fiddling unless you know what your doing. Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks folks.

I have the T3 Lite and the Tac A1. I can and have stripped and cleaned both bolts on both my Tikka's.

I was lucky enough to get the tool used for stripping the bolt down when I bought my Tac A1.

However, I don't mess with trigger units, due to lack of knowledge. And the dangers it could cause.

I'll strip the bolt shortly and see how dirty the parts are.

Cheers! 👍

Trigger units will wash if dirty with flushing using carb cleaner and lighter fluid afterwards to apply dry lubricant after the fluid had flashed off 

Accuracy international recommend cleaning the trigger with wd40 . Don’t use this if there’s any rubber parts in there as it seems to swell certain rubber or neoprene seals . 
Info from the manual 

Thanks again folks,

It would appear to be a sticky trigger part, not returning to it's position. 

I'll take the trigger unit off, blast it with carb cleaner, then very lightly lubricate the parts, and see if the problem has gone away. 

Cheers

Chaz

Glad to have helped - hope you’ve now resolved the issue 

make sure you carry out appropriate saftey checks before using live 

Thanks again all.

It appears fine now, when using dummy rounds. But I need to use it for 'real' too.

I've have tried the drop test, and cycled the bolt hard to see if it 'slam fires'.

Any thing else I should do?

Cheers

Chaz.

Keep it clean with periodic checking 👍🏻