ONE OF STAGS FAVORITES

foxhunter

When I got the Sako off Jacko he was using 87gr V.Max but the supply dried up so I went on to the 75gr which were available locally.

They worked so well that I haven`t gone back to the 87gr even though I have some in stock now.

Weather here is hellish today, a good day for the loading bench !

I am having problems with my shoulders and having difficulty getting the HB Varminter out of my car window. [bloody senile decay and arthritis.]

I have my eye on a local Tikka T3 Hunter which weighs far less and hopefully will like my current fodder, just waiting for the Police to get my ticket back to me.

HWH.

Yes those 87 Vmax have been scarce, Ray managed to get me some in Cornwall thankfully.

Sadly my 6BR wont shoot the 75's with any accuraccy I just can't get them anywhere near the lands and keep any of the bullet in the case, sadly the 75's don't like to be jumped in my rifle.

Good luck with the new gun, report back with some pictures when you have it.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Weather here has been hellish recently with gales most days.

I went out twice this week and got 8 shots and missed 2 of them , one at very short range.

Managed to get 6 Carrions though. Our mountain farmers start serious lambing of the Swaledales and Herdwicks around April 7th so I must get as many as possible gathered up before then.

My permit is still with the Police for another .243 , my Varminter is giving me problems with my shoulders and I hope the standard weight sporter will be easier on my old bones.

Carrion Crow No. 38 of 08

HWH.

Carrions005.jpg

Woke up at 6am with shoulders hurting like hell, took 2 painkillers and got dressed, gathered up my .270 and went to the forest to try to get a Roe doe.

Saw two briefly at long range and managed to get within shot of the one in the pic. to find it was a young buck and not legally in season.

Came home, had a shave and some brecky and swapped the .270 for the .243 and went out again to try to zap a Carrion or two.

Got 3 shots and missed one but it was Nos. 39 and 40 taken into custody.

On the way back I saw the local Buzzard up a tree nearby about to have one of them for HIS brecky.

HWH.Roeandsnow007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This has been a strange week with temperature down to 2C one day with sleet and gale force winds at times.

This afternoon was sunny and warm at 7C.

I got out 3 times this week and got 16 shots in total but missed 3 Carrions, shot 11 Carrions and 2 Magpies making a total of 54 Carrions and 4 Maggies for `08 so far.

HWH.

Carrion No.54 [ those 75gr V.Max are nasty rascals !!! ]

various018.jpg

Got back from the Cairngorms late Tuesday, it snowed every day there and the Deer were away on holiday or something.

Had one chance of a nice pic. of two Roebucks in velvet but of course the ruddy camera was not in the motor, did however get pics. of other wildlife, Red Squirrels, Greylags, Oystercatchers, Lapwing, Redshank and Black-headed Gulls.

Started off yesterday morning by fitting new washers in the bathroom taps then a visit to the Dracula Dept. at our local hospital for a blood test.

After lunch was led astray by the rifle and Rav 4, not the best of days weather- wise but it was nice to get away from people.

Got 3 shots at Maggies and zapped them all, could not believe my luck as Maggies are scarce and sneaky around here and some years I only get 5-6 in a season.

Got 2 Carrions later, running total for 2008 is now 59 Carrions and 7 Magpies.

Still no return of my FAC from the Fuzz, 6 weeks now since it was in for a variation.

HWH.

Maggies003.jpg

Went out this morning in sunshine and 13C, it was like summer but rather breezy.

Lambs everywhere now here in Lakeland, called at 10 farms today and got 9 shots, 2 mugs of tea and the offer of some free, free-range eggs.

Missed one Carrion at 200yds or so but middled 8 of the evil black buggers. Carrions, I do not bother with stupid Rooks or Jackys.

Totals for 2008 are now 73 Carrions and 7 Magpies.

These are cunning mountain crows and not pufter crows which can be shot with an air-gun etc. at short range, many will not even sit at 200 yds as I`ve been blasting them for years and the stupid ones were removed many moons ago.

Wreck their rectums and stop them pecking and pooping !!!!!

Parts of 3 of todays victims which were convenient to gather up. I have one or two Buzzards that like a tasty crow left for them.

7 weeks and still no return of FAC after variation.

Carrions003.jpg

Hi.

Got my FAC back on Sat. after 7 weeks waiting and went down to the local dealer and had a final look at the S/H T3 Hunter .243 , did a satisfactory deal with him and took it away.

There are no marks on the woodwork or in the barrel and I was told it had only fired about 160 factory rounds from new.

Trigger is a crisp 3lb or so. It chambers my re-loads for my Sako Varminter OK too so it will be interesting to see how it shoots when I get the scope on and sighted in.

The previous owner put it in for a new .308 T3 of the same type as he has Reds available now and the estate prefers the larger cal. for them.

Went out with the Varminter today and got 5 shots at Carrions and middled them all, very satisfactory !

The local Buzzards appeared for their meal almost immediately, marvellous how they hone in to a free meal.

Score now 78 Carrions and 7 Magpies for 2008.

HWH.

• 1 month later...

Went out yesterday with the 08 total being 99 Carrions and 8 Maggies in hand.

Never thought it would be so difficult to get the 100th.

Called at a few farms but nothing would sit. One farmer took me to see a dead Red Stag in a stream near a road, could have been a road kill but more likely a pot shot from the roadside by some of the scum-bags who roam the area at night.

Finally on the way home I DID get No. 100 but what a struggle.

HWH.

• 2 months later...

very nice ejg ;)

Archived