.17 rem fireball

mark rug

hi all.ive been trying to find a .17 rem fireball plus reload bits.dies ect for a while now.ive emailed lots of shops and dealers with no luck at all.prefer semi custom.anyone know of such a rilfe currently for sale? thanks in advance guys.mark

I have had a !7 Fireball and now have a 17 Hornet.  Fireballs were always few and far between and now Brass is an issue.  If you want a 17 get a Hornet then you won't have any ammunition problems, not as potent as the Fireball but still very capable.  I sold my Fireball and regretted it so bought a 17 Hornet and it does what I want, shortish range Foxes and longer range Crows.

• 3 weeks later...

hi woodlander,i i been thru all the thoughts of what caliber.i settled for a .17 fireball.ive a slot on my ticket for a .17 cf.i would really like a fireball but they are really hard to find.had a few offers of the .17 rem but at the moment im going to hold out for a fireball.cheers for you thoughts.mark

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 4:42 AM, mark rug said:

hi woodlander,i i been thru all the thoughts of what caliber.i settled for a .17 fireball.ive a slot on my ticket for a .17 cf.i would really like a fireball but they are really hard to find.had a few offers of the .17 rem but at the moment im going to hold out for a fireball.cheers for you thoughts.mark

👍

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys.Ive got my rifle........ another problem now.Ive managed to source Viht 133 powder,rem brass,fed gold medal small rifle primer.and a couple of hundred rounds of fed factory ammo.no rem fireball data in my book or on viht website.ive searched the net nothing on the forums about a load for n133 powder and .17 fireball.ive got .17gr and some 20gr vmax heads.any ideas? cheers.Mark

David is pretty much spot on with that load, if the 17gn bullets are the ramsbottom ones, I found them a bit erratic, but worth a try, I have a 17rem and settled on 25gn vmax, certainly gave the best accuracy for me.  There are some 25gn bergers for sale on sd at the moment

4 hours ago, mark rug said:

Thanks a lot guys.i will look into it. David i dont know what brand the 17 grain bullets are.They have a purple tip on them.I shall try them at some point but again no load data.cheers

They sound like the ones from kranks (misnamed as ramsbottoms in my previous post) I tried them with 18gn of ramshot TAC in my 17rem, apparently they were the bullets eley used for hmr2, I found them inconsistent, the heavier 25gn vmax performed much better.

Thank you Akeld.I can but try them.im under the impression that the lighter bullets are used with a slightly higher powder charge?I do know that you got to be very careful when developing loads in the fireball as pressure can spike very quickly. i doubt i will start loading this week anyway so i will use the time to find as much info as i can,Any more info you guys got im sure would be helpful.Cheers.mark.

I will have to stick with the 133 and 20 and 17gr bullets for a while.im confident in a load for the 20gr but not the .17. There seams to be no info on the net.Im not keen on downloading apps.i did it last year for rugby world cup.Trashed my fone and lost some cracking tench and crucian pictures.Lesson learned there i think.