Heads up - Vihtavuori N150 load data change for SMK 168gr

Tikktac

Only noticed by coincidence that Vihtavuori has dropped the top load by a whole grain for the above combination and maybe more.

If you are using the top load for any Vihtavuori rifle powders it may be a good idea to check.

This is important if you shoot on MOD ranges since you would have already signed the NRA statement that you will load to manufacturers data.

My vithavuori reloading book is the first edition from 1994 I bought new.

It is the only one I have.

All the loads ( 308,223 and 357) printed in it are " higher " than current printed data.

I would suspect the same for other calibres but since I do not reload for other calibres I do not compare them.

When developing a new load, I refer to it first but also check the current printed data.

I have never had a problem with using the data from this book. My reloads reflect  what is printed in this book.

I would say my reloads ( apart from the 357) are near the top end. 

As best practice, I start that bit lower and work up if needed.

Cheers.

Shoppe

And that is what a lot of people do. I tend to stick within the margins of the manufacturers recommendations.

Th reason I am posting this is if you shoot on MOD ranges (as I do) and there is any kind if incident on the range The investigation will inculde your load data and if you are over the top load according to the current values you will be banned from MOD ranges and most likely Bisley since it's the NRA that is driving this following several incidents at Bisley. 

13 minutes ago, Tikktac said:

And that is what a lot of people do. I tend to stick within the margins of the manufacturers recommendations.

Th reason I am posting this is if you shoot on MOD ranges (as I do) and there is any kind if incident on the range The investigation will inculde your load data and if you are over the top load according to the current values you will be banned from MOD ranges and most likely Bisley since it's the NRA that is driving this following several incidents at Bisley. 

I agree with you.

NRA CoP para 10  Never exceed maximum loads given in hand loading data tables 

10, c)  Do not exceed the maximum load given in hand loading data tables or the maximum load you have discovered for yourself.  Stick to CIP/SAAMI limits!

However, Vihtavuori are one source of data.  Other competent authorities may have tested on differing test rigs and achieved different maximum recommended numbers. Equally valid I believe.  I use Berger and Lyman manuals as well as powder manufacturers data.

I've never needed to exceed manufacturers limits to achieve good accuracy over 1000yds .308 or 2000yds .338LM.  Chasing MV at all costs seems unnecessary to me.