.32 Pistol for Humane Dispatch - Continued

Guest Tiff

Guest Tiff

After my the previous thread on here (6moths ago) I decided to apply for a 2 shot .32 pistol for the humane killing of animals. I'm looking at using the pistol for sheep, cattle, horses and RTA/wounded deer (mostly reds).

I have now received a letter seeking clarification on my application from the local constabulary and I'm a little perplexed, in places, by it ;) So wouldn't mind a little help please, before I send them my reply :D .

They are specifically interested in:

"Is the firearm you are requesting a purpose built 'humane killer' and by providing details of the manufacturer/model, it will assist in your request"

The letter has got 2 other questions on previous experience, but that one has got me a little puzzled. So here is my thinking...

1. A .32 blank bolt gun is not a firearm/pistol, so that cannot be what they are confusing it with.

2. There haven't been 'purpose built' .32 pistols for humane dispatch in recent years. They are all converted revolvers, semi-auto's, bolt guns or flare guns etc. Bell guns were made years ago, where the extra 'barrel' could be put against the animals skull to prevent ricochets injuring the slaughter man. However apart from most of these now being antiques....that would be no use against a mortally injured red stag or violent horned bullock/bull that was determined to impale you! The main reason I am after a 'free bullet' pistol and not a bolt gun.

So what exactly are they asking for?

Any help, as ever greatly appreciated.

Tiff

Guest Tiff
Isnt that 30-338 doing this biz ;):D:lol:

You just love your toys dont you ,go on admit it :D

Lol, still haven't had a chance to use the 30-338 any more yet...uni keeps getting in the way :(

However I'll be the first to admit that 'bigger' guns like that do have some shortfalls, in the unlikely event a close follow-up shot is required. Apart form the fairly high ricochet/exploding stones hazard, a 5'+ rifle is hardly very portable up close in the scrub!!!

The vast majority of use for this pistol, will be livestock that I am called out to dispatch, with the remainder being RTA/injured deer.

Tiff

A couple of options:

1. Phone them and ask what they mean;

or;

2. Respond thus: My application is for a two shot .32 pistol for the humane dispatch of deer and other species iaw the current legislation regarding their use and suitability. I am considering either a modified revolver or semi-auto restricted to two rounds, this I understand is the accepted norm when applying for this type of firearm.

Guest Tiff
Tiff

A couple of options:

1. Phone them and ask what they mean;

or;

2. Respond thus: My application is for a two shot .32 pistol for the humane dispatch of deer and other species iaw the current legislation regarding their use and suitability. I am considering either a modified revolver or semi-auto restricted to two rounds, this I understand is the accepted norm when applying for this type of firearm.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will try option 1 first. I just wanted to check that I am not missing something fundamental, with regards to what a "Humane Killer" is in this context. I have never heard of anything being made new these days, specifically for this purpose.

Any other ideas would be great thanks, since I don't like being immediately put on the back foot.

Tiff

Its not a loaded question Tiff...they just dont realise that there aren,t any .32 bolt guns out there.

Tell them the truth. You require a pistol, either 2, or single shot.

Be bloody careful with it. We used to use an accles and shelvoke .32 [yes, a real old ######] on horses, cows, calves etc, in the kennels, and riccochet,s were regular :D

Horrible cartridge. We could never find anything other than fmj for it. I would far rather have a .357 and soft, lead bullets, downloaded.

Its not a loaded question Tiff...they just dont realise that there aren,t any .32 bolt guns out there.

Tell them the truth. You require a pistol, either 2, or single shot.

Be bloody careful with it. We used to use an accles and shelvoke .32 [yes, a real old ######] on horses, cows, calves etc, in the kennels, and riccochet,s were regular :o

Horrible cartridge. We could never find anything other than fmj for it. I would far rather have a .357 and soft, lead bullets, downloaded.

Hmmm....Sounds like a good business opportunity for cast, segmented bullets that are highly frangible...perhaps another "Made in the U.K." success story in the making.... :D

Something tailored specifically for a U.K. need and made locally. Something like a Quik-Shok cast .32 bullet.

Or just get a 357 and shoot 38 special from it.

If you want to get creative, you could get an Encore pistol. It is a single shot, break barrel. Get it chambered for whatever you want in whatever barrel length you want. Then later you can ask for extra barrels for it to use as a rifle.

Thanks,

Rick

Archived