Price of primers.

menial 1

Went to Norman Clark's today to buy some powder as he has some Viht 140 and I'm down to half a kilo, £60.56 per kilo, so I took two so that I wouldn't need to go again for a while. I picked up a couple of neck sizing bushes I needed and a few other odds and sods and then spotted some CCI br4 primers on the shelf behind the counter, I'll take a 1000 while I'm here says I, as the last lot I bought was about 4 months ago and they were £37 per thousand.

I was pretty surprised to find they had gne up to £47 per thousand in a few short months. I only hope that powders don't increase as much before I buy my next lot.

Pete.

I am not surprised to hear these prices as the last time I bought some Lapua cases I think I paid £27. Now they are about£50.

Vit powders £53 kg now about £63.

These are some big price rises.

I only homeload, has anybody noticed similar massive rises in the price of factory ammo ?

surely it cant be cheaper :) can it ?

Seriously is the margin narrowing/ widening or the same between factory and home reload costs?

i went to norman clarkes the other day and bought all he had of 6.5m/m 140 g a-max £19-67 a box (100) now thats a bargain

another plus was that 1967 was the year i was born and the bullets are for spudgun, i am expecting big things of these bullets lol

I am not surprised to hear these prices as the last time I bought some Lapua cases I think I paid £27. Now they are about£50.

Vit powders £53 kg now about £63.

These are some big price rises.

I only homeload, has anybody noticed similar massive rises in the price of factory ammo ?

surely it cant be cheaper :) can it ?

Seriously is the margin narrowing/ widening or the same between factory and home reload costs?

The margin doesn't appear to be narrowing yet, my mate still buys factory rounds and told me the other day he was charged £37 per 20 for Federal Classic .243 100grn, so I don't think we need to panic for the time being.

Pete.

i went to norman clarkes the other day and bought all he had of 6.5m/m 140 g a-max £19-67 a box (100) now thats a bargain

another plus was that 1967 was the year i was born and the bullets are for spudgun, i am expecting big things of these bullets lol

I find Normans bullet and powder prices okay, I was just surprised at how much the primers had shot up. Might be time to start experimenting with CCI 400 primers which to date I've only ever had two failures with.

Spud, shouldn't you be up to your neck in fezzer that which promotes growth and vigour by now? We'll be bitting our first lot on Saturday, about 1600 3 week olds.

Pete.

yes mate i am , when i say i went to norman clarkes i meant in a vrtual way as i phoned him up lol

bitting mine next week i like to get mine on to mini pellets first.

what sort of hatch rates you getting mate , my best this season so far 85.6 percent

I worked out my costs for reloading my 7mm WSM, based on five firings per case and £29 per 1000 primers = 97p per loaded round.

With the price that Pete has mentioned it looks like I will have to do my maths again!

I have just bought 100 Federal .243 55 Btips at £35 per 20 :wacko:

yes mate i am , when i say i went to norman clarkes i meant in a vrtual way as i phoned him up lol

bitting mine next week i like to get mine on to mini pellets first.

what sort of hatch rates you getting mate , my best this season so far 85.6 percent

Started off high 70's and has dropped to low 70's with the third lot, normally stays around this for the next five lots. Partridges normally go around 80%.

Pete.

When I bought my 243 I said to the guy I might as well take some cases whilst I'm here. He said ok but we only have Hornady. :o

I said that will be ok........... but I then noticed they were in 50's at £44 (I think) :o

I questioned this and said isn't that the 100 price to which he sort of agreed and said I better check.

:wacko:

Nope thats the right price.

So whats so good about Hornady cases to be worth £88 per 100 were only talking 243 for crying out loud ?

i bought 3000 fed 210 m primers the other day from my local gun shop £20 per thousand

I ran out of ammo for my 6.5 x 55 the other day, my local gun shop wanted £49.00 per 20 for Norma 140gn bt. or £22.00 per 20 for 156gn sako. I bought the sako ones and really wished I hadn't as they're to tough for roe and the like. Enough to say I'm now reloading again.

Archived