Good Car Polish.

chaz

Hi folks,

I have a second car, but over time, as you can imagine, using it for shooting it cops a few scratches. I can get them out ok with different methods, but my old liquid Auto Glym polish isn't cutting it. I'm after anyone's knowledge about a polish they use that is a thick hardish wax in a tub with an applicator. The stuff we used to use before liquids came along. I'm after a good quality one which won't come after a couple of showers. I'm aware of "ceramic coatings", and have some. It's good quality polish I'm after.

Please could you let me know If you use a good brand and it's name.

Cheers.

Chaz.

Also asked elsewhere.

Now here is where we get a bit technical.

If your car (most are today) is painted in base (Colour) and clear (Laquer) then you will almost certainly need a machine polish.

Some maufactures (German) there clear coats are HARD and the only way is with machine polish.

You could try the same products by hand, will certainly give you a good workout.

This is how i would do this.

1. Light sand 1500 wet and dry by hand.  this will put alot of light sratches in, but removes the big scratches.

2. Machine sand with 2000 then 3000 wet & Dry.  will start to remove all scratches.

3. Machine polish with coarse head & G3 cutting copound. now no scratches, but will look a bit dull.

4. Machine polish with soft head and a good machine polish. will bring the paint back to new. Your Autoglym will do.

If you want to try this by hand

just do stages 3 and 4.  if this wont tuch the scratch you could also try stage 2 BUT DO NOT do stage 1 if you dont have a machine.

Be carefull with some of the "all new fantastic polishes" out there, they dont actully "polish" they just lay down a polymer that makes you think you have removed all the scratches. You havent  you have just filled them in, and a week or 2 they are all back just as they were.

To check your polish is actual polish / wax  after applying to an area take some isopropyl alcohol, if it still looks good (but dull) your polish is good. If it now looks like you never waxed it, The your polish is not polish.

Please Note

there as many ways of correcting paint as there is reloading, so someone could give you a completely different method,

This is MY method,  and hope it is of some help..

• 3 weeks later...