Howa 1500 + East cornwall + 1 mile šŸŽ‰

There are many like it, but this one is mine.

71181707740__FD257D29-FD93-4980-897C-A412492DA668.thumb.jpeg.68e3594bc3fdeae574698119e045e882.jpeg

Ā 

So this is a goal Iā€™ve had since I started shooting fullbore 9 years ago. I only started to really think about it just before Covid hit and I ended up waiting 14months for the rifle.

Itā€™s full spec is below, I actually ordered a 26ā€ 300winmag but when a 24ā€ 300PRC showed up in the country I snapped it up after a quick variation.

Ā 

Full spec is:

Howa 1500 24ā€ 300PRC barrel action, off the shelf.

MDT ESS chassis

Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x (which Iā€™ve had for a long time)

20MOA rail

Burris XTR tactical rings with another 20MOA of inserts.

Wildcat predator moderator

208eld-m over Reloader26 in Lapua brass with Remington 9 1/2 primers.

Ā 

Shot at east cornwall sporting which is an amazing venue, two huge bunkers 50 yards between them and a valley of farm land which you drive back up (in 4x4s) to get longer and longer ranges. Iā€™ve shot there a number of times before but only ever back to 1250.

Ā 

Kev who runs the venue knows his stuff and was a huge help with his wind calls.

Also as I was transonic around 1275, i was very thankful we had put my rifle in his kestrel as strelok was only trued up to 1250 and it was way out (even with multi BC) beyond that.

Ā 

I didnā€™t go to do the mile, itā€™s always a hope but I went for a private day to learn and just ring some steel, I even had the .22 in the car just in case I was having an off day and we could have shot that to 600Ā 

Ā 

The weather was swinging from sunshine to pouring rain a fog, very thankful for the new awning addition to the trailer hut!

Ā 

We had a quick check at 100 and I wanted to zero my 6.5 which now has a new scope on it after giving the athlon up to the 300.

We then went back in steps and shot roughly. 600, 800, 1100 and 1250 to get some dope. I wasnā€™t that hopeful at this point, I was hitting MOA and the odd 1/2 MOA but not as consistently as I hoped. Ammo was showing an 18es on the chrono over 6 rounds so we didnā€™t think it was that.

Ā 

A quick warm pastie in the trailer / hut and we went back to 1350 where as we were packing up Kev notice my scope cap appeared to be touching the chassis. Now Iā€™d run a piece of paper through it to ensure it wasnā€™t, but after removing it when we went back to 1500 the groups spoke for themselves and either something else happened weather wise or it really might have been that.

Ā 

I was happy enough to be hitting the big plate at that distance and pulled quite a nice group and I expected us to finish up the day there. Then the magic words ā€œshall we go back to the mileā€

Ā 

With 30 rounds from 150 left, I thought why not!

Ā 

Shooting at the big plate (25x37ā€) in the bottom bunker was good enough for me, making hits on steel at 1713 yards is a feeling that I just canā€™t describe, just amazing.

Ā 

With 17 rounds left, we moved up to the magic mile, with 22.3mil of elevation and 4.5 mil of wind and 5 rounds and I was so close but we needed to take a break to let the rifle cool a bit.

Ā 

It took 5 more rounds to hit the plate after that, eventually getting on with perfect elevation and on Kevā€™s wind call, holding 1 mil off the left side. Seeing that little dot appear just under the bull was just something else.

Ā 

Kevā€™s not daft, heā€™s got plenty more patches for the 1/2 MOA, MOA in three and cold bore so I will be back again soon no doubt!!

Ā 

Huge thanks to the Country Sports Shop who I buy 95% of my kit from but also who I have learned a huge amount from

Ā 

And of course to Kev for all the tuition and running such a brilliant venue and last but certainly not least, to Vicky who has to sit on top of a hill all day as a spotter!

Ā 

3 minutes ago, Charlts said:

Great shooting Adam.

Thanks Ryan!Ā 

the one thing I could t quite believe is Bunky said heā€™s quite quiet down there at the moment, I guess the economy and lack of powder is taking its toll šŸ˜žĀ 

12 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

My dream as well, but I doubt I'll be able to do it with my factory .300 WinMag, but I'd love to try !

I donā€™t see why not, depending on the rifle.Ā 
mine is an off the shelf howa 1500 24ā€ 300PRC just put it in an MDT chassis instead of the ORYX to match my other rifles.Ā 
Ā I was well subsonic by the time it got to the mile as I donā€™t run it very hot.Ā 

I tried at 1400 yards at Bunkies with 195grn TMKs which are great at 1000, but went subsonic at 1250ish and were not really grouping at all. I have some loads with 205grn ELD-Ms which stay super until about 1400. I will have to try them one day and see if I can do the elusive mile. Until then it's just a dream :)

Ā 

Just now, Ralpharama said:

I tried at 1400 yards at Bunkies with 195grn TMKs which are great at 1000, but went subsonic at 1250ish and were not really grouping at all. I have some loads with 205grn ELD-Ms which stay super until about 1400. I will have to try them one day and see if I can do the elusive mile. Until then it's just a dream :)

Ā 

Awesome šŸ™‚Ā 

my 208 were transonic at about 1275, I totally get the applied ballistics custom curves now, Kev trued it at 1250 and it was bang on from there on out.Ā 
because I am stubborn I will true strelok with some transonic BC data to match my dope but the kestrel was so easy.Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

Only just seen this post ,

well done son ! Ā Makes such a refreshing change to see this type of thing over here !!

id love to have a go but living where I doĀ 

here in Kent it ainā€™t never going to happen! Ā 
im assuming one needs an open ticket to use such facilities??

šŸ¤”

11 hours ago, Cornish-Viking said:

Great shooting. Bunkys is an awesome place to test your shooting skills. Lucky itā€™s only 15 mins from meĀ 

The expression Jammy Bas**rd springs to mindĀ šŸ¤£Ā 

That said I have a friend living in Bodmin and he suffers badly on the roads from EmmetsĀ šŸ˜‚