Odd Ballistics Results Part 2

Simonc65

On Sunday I posted this"-

"Looking for wisdom or someone that might have seen the same thing.
I’m shooting a Dolphin F/TR in 308, with a Vortex Golden Eagle (MOA) on a 20 MOA rail.
I’m using Berger 185 Jug and 200.2x bullets.
Pushing them out at 2,610 & 2,600 respectively.
I’m sighted in at 300 yards, putting all the data into a ballistic calculator to get me to 600 yards it says I need to come up 10 MOA.

The problem is this doesn’t even get me onto the target, to get me there I have to put another 10 MOA on, so a total of 20 MOA. The scope is 1/8th click, I’m putting on 174 clicks (174/8= 21.75 MOA) to get me on the paper.

I’m not a total Muppet, I’ve done this same adjustment on my 260Rem, 338 LM and 223 and the Ballistic calculator always gets me on the paper.
I’m using StrelokPro & Ballistic AE, both give similar adjustments.

I'm thinking either the Berger BC’s are way of, or my scope is funky (when I’m on target I’m getting sub 0.5 MOA groups)

Thoughts ?"

Consensus reply was 10 MOA is correct for my bullet/speed/distance so check scope as it is likely duff.

Today I was able to make it to a 100y range and do a tracking test, rifle firmly supported in my benchrest front rest and rear bag, with a target at 100yards with clear 1 inch boxes on it.

Zoomed in to 60x, each 8 clicks of adjustment on the scope moved it 1 inch on target, did this for a total of 32 clicks up and down, moving it 4 inches in total.

The GE scope has 1/8th MOA adjustments, so it seems it is fine.

Thoughts ?

14 minutes ago, Simonc65 said:

On Sunday I posted this"-

Consensus reply was 10 MOA is correct for my bullet/speed/distance so check scope as it is likely duff.

Today I was able to make it to a 100y range and do a tracking test, rifle firmly supported in my benchrest front rest and rear bag, with a target at 100yards with clear 1 inch boxes on it.

Zoomed in to 60x, each 8 clicks of adjustment on the scope moved it 1 inch on target, did this for a total of 32 clicks up and down, moving it 4 inches in total.

The GE scope has 1/8th MOA adjustments, so it seems it is fine.

Thoughts ?

Initial thoughts:  Why only check ± 4moa range?  I would have optically centred, bore-sighted and then check out the full range of elevation ±27.5 moa.  Then from a bore sighted zero find out what my shot zero is to confirm the 'starting position' for elevation - ie identify how much up elevation adjustment you have given 20moa rail.  If all looks good then shoot again at 300/600

3 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Initial thoughts:  Why only check ± 4moa range?  I would have optically centred, bore-sighted and then check out the full range of elevation ±27.5 moa.  Then from a bore sighted zero find out what my shot zero is to confirm the 'starting position' for elevation - ie identify how much up elevation adjustment you have given 20moa rail.  If all looks good then shoot again at 300/600

Agree - From your 100 yds zero I would have checked full up/down, left/right to see just what you have available. I think point of impact at 100 yds should be about 16 inches above you aiming mark for a 600 yd zero.

• 1 month later...

As a follow up to this.

I contacted Vortex, after a few tests they wanted me to do, they agreed something was off with the scope.

I returned it to the Vortex UK importer, they looked at it, saw it had damage and agreed to replace it for a new one at no cost to me.

Shows the Vortex VIP warranty is as good as the claim.

New scope on the rifle, tested at 50, 100 & 300 yards, waiting for Bisley to get their longer range electronic targets working to test at 600 & 1,000.

Glad it worked out for you.  

Just an observation, although Vortex do have great customer service, there's an awful lot of examples of people needing to fall back on it.

Make them cheap and fix the ones that fail ??  I had a new PST Viper FFP and the tracking was rubbish - basic click value (1/4 moa) was out and backlash in the mechanism was also poor.  Shooting a box target test was very poor indeed.

To contrast my Delta Stryker is cock-on mechanically and a similar price point.  I just hope it doesn't fail ! 😂