An excellent read....

MarinePMI

For those interested, I thought I'd post a book that I stumbled across this past weekend. As it is an initially published book in the UK (c.2004), this may be old news, but wanted to let others know, who might not have caught it. It just recently was released in the US.

It is called "Out of Nowhere-A History of the Military Sniper" by Martin Pegler. This man did his home work, and it was very well written to boot. I'd highly recommend it to those who have ever done long range shooting, enjoy history or are technically interested in the development of men, rifles and fieldcraft as they pertain to sniping work.

I'm half way through the book and it is both reaffirming and enlightening wrt the history of sniping, and the plethora of developments made thoughout the history of sniping.

So far, I'd say this belongs in the home library, right next to "A Rifleman went to War" -McBride, "Death from Afar" -Chandler and "The Complete Book of US Sniping" - Senrich.

Martin now resides over with you guys, Marine. He emigrated a couple of years ago. before that he worked at the Royal Armouries near me, sorting out the exhibits on sniping, and giving talks. A very interesting chap, and a good writer. The book, as you say, is excellent.

Baldie,

Thanks, that's good info to know.

Middlestead,

No, I haven't read that one yet. But the way I read, I'll get to it soon... :D

Spuds,

Thanks for the link (Duh! I should have done that...)

This is a great book for anyone interested in Sniping. I have built up a bit of a collection of books on the subject over the last few years, some good, some bad, but all interesting none the less. Martin Peglars Out of Nowhere is an excellent read and pretty comprehensive and there are some bargin copies on ebay sometimes.

Archived