Leather Waterproofing/Conditioning

SteveW

Just wondered what products etc you guys use ??

This was prompted by a visit to my local "Cotswold" store, where I was talking to one of the sales staff, about the best products for reconditioning and waterproofing leather boots etc.

To date i've been using Dubbin, Saddle soap and the like, only to be told these were " Old school", and was advised to try Nikiwax range, when I got home I noticed these are a water based product, so thought can these really be as good ???

Would grately appreciate your experiences/comments.

Cheers Steve

Carrs leather oil is the best and also Neatsfoot oil for just weather proofing. Do a search on Carr & Day & Martin, they are now based at Dock Road Lytham and do mail order. I have can of the leather oil and have been using that one since 1987 and it is still 2/3rds full! it dries nicely to a smooth finish too.

I havent found anything better, particularly for stopping the leather cracking.

Dubbin is for old rugby / football boots, it stays greasy and clammy until it washes off and lets the water in again!! definitely old school. :lol:

Been playing with this stuff since the early motorbike days and there wasnt much that would stand up to 70-80 mph rain, bbut the Neatsfoot and the Carrs did

Redfox

Been playing with this stuff since the early motorbike days and there wasnt much that would stand up to 70-80 mph rain, bbut the Neatsfoot and the Carrs did

Redfox

Thanks Redfox,

This is exactly the sort of information I was after.

Only 70-80 mph, you are allowed to go into third gear :lol:

Will try contacting Carr & Day & Martin tomorrow.

Cheers Steve

Thanks Redfox,

Only 70-80 mph, you are allowed to go into third gear :D

Cheers Steve

As my boys pointed out recently Steve, some of the superbikes do over 95mph in -first- gear.

Insanity..

Chris-NZ

Carrs leather oil is the best and also Neatsfoot oil for just weather proofing. Do a search on Carr & Day & Martin, they are now based at Dock Road Lytham and do mail order. I have can of the leather oil and have been using that one since 1987 and it is still 2/3rds full! it dries nicely to a smooth finish too.

I havent found anything better, particularly for stopping the leather cracking.

Dubbin is for old rugby / football boots, it stays greasy and clammy until it washes off and lets the water in again!! definitely old school. :D

Redfox

Hi redfox what store did you get the leather oil from I have contacted carrs and they dont sell direct to the public also all the company names they gave me dont stock it thank Eric.

As my boys pointed out recently Steve, some of the superbikes do over 95mph in -first- gear.

Insanity..

Chris-NZ

They must have given you a few sleepless nights Chris.

It must be in the blood, I had a Fireblade, a Blackbird and several crossers, but sold them when number one son was born, but even now at 7 he talks about getting a bike when he's older :D:o And I can truthfully say he has no encouragement from me, if anything I try to dissuade him.

At present he still believes me that if you have blond hair and blue eyes it's illegal to ride bikes :D:lol: Dont think I'll get away with that for too much longer !!!!!

Cheers Steve

Stevie,

I am reliably informed by several people that Dubbin will rot the stitching in your boots in time, my experience is that it's no good at keeping water out for more than an hour's walking. Horrible greasy stuff!.

As to Nikwax, I've found that it makes leather boots creak - I've a pair of Brasher walking boots which have been treated a number of times with Nikwax but creak so badly that they cannot be used for stalking and they are no longer waterproof. I am not alone in that experience.

I have no experience of Neatsfoot Oil but many of the climbers and walkers I know swear by it.

Peter

Looks like I could have been saved a pair of creaky boots, many thanks Pete. :)

A double endorsement for the Carrs Leather Oil, thanks once Redfox for the info.

Cheers TT, looked at the Flexalan site, sounds good too, liked the look their "Mane & Tail Detangler" might have to try it out on the dogs ??

Cheers Steve

A word of caution, if your boots are gortex lined nickwax will trap all the moisture between the gortex and the outer which will rot things really quick :D

bluebell, that explains a lot :o Many thanks.

ft

A word of caution, if your boots are gortex lined nickwax will trap all the moisture between the gortex and the outer which will rot things really quick :o

Many thanks Bluebell for the advice.

Cheers Steve

I perhaps should have mentioned that neatsfoot oil ( and flexilan) will soften the leather, the Leather oil does a lot less and mainly waterproofs and prevents cracking which is why I use that the most, I also dont reapply until it is obvious it needs it.

Redfox

Archived