sako 85 laminated stainess 243

I am thinking of turning my 243 into a 6mmbr want to shoot 5 or 600 hundred yards i have read a lot about 6mm br but. i dont load my own bullets which would be the best route to take and the best barrel to put on. dont know a lot about rifles just shoot them ;)

terry

.243 mate will do all you want and you can buy the ammo

any way the .243 shoots a 6mm bullet

Thanks lads .looking for better accuracy ;)

dear i say it shoot straighter

what groups are you getting at the moment

Sounds like reloading may be your best option. .243 is a great round and shouldn't be underestimated, and as such I would recommend tryingto get the best out of what you have already got before tinkering with something a little more exotic and potentially blowing a load of money on something you don't want/need. Just my 2p! ;)

Mark getting good groups out of 200 yards put some photos on tomorow cheers mate

Terry

if your getting good groups at 200 whats wrong at trying groups at 600 and you may surprise your self as the .243 is a calibre thats takes some beating

Guest Sprags
Sounds like reloading may be your best option. .243 is a great round and shouldn't be underestimated, and as such I would recommend tryingto get the best out of what you have already got before tinkering with something a little more exotic and potentially blowing a load of money on something you don't want/need. Just my 2p! ;)

Excellent advice........... :D

I have a .243 and have shot factory ammo for a while, but I recently started homeloading (thanks to NorthernChris) and the difference in accuracy is unreal......

Chris developed some trial loads and after trying them and 'setting' my rifle up correctly with the best grouping load, he demonstrated how my rifle (a standard Remmy 700 except for a stock upgrade) could achieve longer ranges accurately.......

He pinged a target at 751yds with the lazer, and hit the thing dead on.........

After this, I am hooked on homeloading!

I developed a drop chart via Exbal for my load and tested it today and it is spot on.... ;)

So to summarise, dont go for a 6mmBR just yet, take your .243 out to what it is capable of and then decide if you should change to a BR.

Regards,Sprags

EDITED TO ADD: The rifle was set up with the ability to 'dial' the shots!!

Guest varmartin

I you want better accuracy then you have two choices....

1. start reloading your own ammo....spend some on that , then save some on the reloads.....

2. Get your rifle re barrelled to 6mm BR Norma, then start re loading ...as above.

In all honesty....I don't think you will achieve your accuracy goals with factory ammo...

In my 6BR I ran some Norma Diamond Line ammo to run it in, 105grn moly coated factory ammunition costing plenty, haven't really bettered the groups it produced with various bullets and powders. Very expensive but you get left with some top quality brass which you can either reload or sell.

Pete.

Archived