Anyone using a LEE LOADMASTER?

chaz

As above folks. I'm thinking of getting a Lee Loadmaster, but would like a few opinions from people who have or do use then. No too bothered about the powder hopper set up as would use my beam scales. Also, I presume It can accommodate most make dies?

I'd even go for the 4 die set-up, but recall it's name....?

Cheers.

Chaz.

I run a Loadmaster permanently set-up for loading 44 Mag. It's an easy calibre to load for as everything is so big and forgiving!

Station 1 - Universal decapper. Lee Case feeder.

Station 2 - Lee F/L Sizer minus the decapping stem. Priming

Station 3 - Lee Powder-thru-Expander with Autodisc Powder Measure

Station 4 - Bullet feed. Manual at the moment, but awaiting modified Mr Bullet-Feeder when I get round to it.

Station 5 - Lee bullet seating & roll-crimp.

On the plus side, once it's up & running, it just works, chucking out a round with every pull of the handle quite reliably. It'll take any standard dies you care to use.

I tend to load up a bulk batch and then leave it for a month or more, perhaps over-winter. And re-starting it can be problematic. Lubrication is the key - a lightest smear of moly grease on the bottom of the shell plate and graphite on the plastic parts like the case and primer feeds is what I do and I've learnt that its best to re-lube first before trying to re-start it. You'll also need a grease-gun to lube the linkages properly. There's lots of You_tube videos out there helping fix any issues you come across and Lee support the press quite well I think.

Compared to Lees other progressive offerings it's a beast and I wouldn't go back to using one of them. Particularly the shell carrier systems tend to wear in different places, then it all goes funny and you might as well just throw out the whole carrier assembly. Plus having 5 stations does make a difference.

When I was buying, I also looked very closely at the Hornady equivalent, but the price difference was significant. I'd buy another if I needed.

Triffid