Nightforce Tripod

A tripod was shown in the older Nighforce catalogs with a pedestal type top attached. It now seems to have been discontinued though.

Does anyone have any experiance of this bit of kit as I think I will need something similar for my new toy. Todd Kindler uses one in the field, seen its pic in Small Caliber news.

They seem to be a decent bit if kit, this thread is from 2003 though !

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26...ce-tripod-9024/

Thanks

A

How about something like this

DSCN0092.jpg

Manfrotto 055 NAT3, with RC141 head. goes from high prone to standing and use the manfrotto RC2 quick detach mount - rifle on or off in a second.

Cons it`s heavy - but I`ve been looking at lighter weight more compact carbon tripods. Top two at the moment for me (Gitzo is out of my price range) are Manfrotto 190 Pro4 carbon with RC488 head or Velbon Sherpa 545 carbon with Cullman ball head (rated to 12kg and small). With the Velbon Bristol cameras (name something like that - google velbon 545 and bristol) have an offer for about 120 quid for the ripod and a crap head.

Or, purpose made Almo Four-Star ( wrong spelling) from USA - interestingly they have a model that uses the quick detach Manfrotto system also.

David.

Looks like it just has a Vee that the barrel sits in, therefore the barrel would take the weight possably then fouling the stock. There are harris adaptors that clamp onto barrels if I wanted to go that way but thanks for the thought.

The Manfrotto set up is what varminter 223 pointed out to me in a pm, I have enquired from Riflecraft who show it on their web site all be it in a taller version. Looks a bit of a beast, how does it attach ?, must be a decent fixing as that AICS is not light. Again I dont really want to shove a fixing in the forend, otherwise the Harris would do. The action has been lowered in the stock so I may not have a lot of meat in the stock under the barrell.

How does a pedestal top fit on a base???. Looks like photograpic tripods have a male thread, just need something made up to adapt or put a female threaded hole in the pedastal top.

A

The Manfrotto set-up uses a quick-detach plate - plate stays on the rifle, which may not be what you are looking for. The Almo Four-star has a fancy vice like tilting head that would support a rifle on its own with not fitures needed on the rifle. If you did not want to screw anything into it's stock then thats probably the best best though I have read service is slow.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to look at short photo tripods today, found a cracking little lightweight one at about £30 that goes from about 12" up to 24", so ideal.

Now it has a male 1/4" or so thread poking out through the QD plate, it does however only project a thread or two but I am told it does disassemble fairly easily for replacement with something a tad longer.

What I wanted to do was to put a pedestal type front bag set up on it as a premanent fixing so that in action I just extend the legs and lay the rifle forend into it. Never having taken one to bits I am unsure how these fit onto a pedestal base. I need a half decent metal base that I can thread I guess then I can bolt up into it and job done. Any thoughts on a suitably constructed front bad set up that I can use.

Thanks

A

Been to look at short photo tripods today, found a cracking little lightweight one at about £30 that goes from about 12" up to 24", so ideal.

Now it has a male 1/4" or so thread poking out through the QD plate, it does however only project a thread or two but I am told it does disassemble fairly easily for replacement with something a tad longer.

What I wanted to do was to put a pedestal type front bag set up on it as a premanent fixing so that in action I just extend the legs and lay the rifle forened into it. Never having taken one to bits I am unsure how these fit onto a pedestal base. I need a half decent metal base that I can thread I guess then I can bolt up into it and job done. Any thoughts on a suitably constructed front bad set up that I can use.

Thanks

A

Something like the smaller setup here ?

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/products.html

Tony

Yes similar, the set up I have in mind will give more height for sitting shots as well in longer grass and the head on the tripod has a pan/tilt facility to keep the rifle level. Most of the commercial ones I have seen are for sporting type forends, this is a big wide flat BR type.

A

Archived