Ziess victory or Leica geovid rf binos

Hi guy's anybody had the chance to compare the above?????

NELL

yep owned them both the Vistory piss all over the leica,eveyone who has looked thorugh my Victorys want a set,the clarity is second to none so is the range finder

Col48 also has a set Iam sure he will be along soon to say the same

There was a comprehensive review of the Zeiss 10x45 combo unit in Issue 9 of NZ Hunter magazine.

To very briefly summarize the findings, Greg did like a few refinements but the main thing was they gave very good readings in marginal conditions, eg bright midday light, etc. Reading between the lines, they didn't p*** over the Geovids and he left the reader to decide if the significant extra cost over the Geovids was worth it.

From what I read, can't say I'll be rushing to replace my Geovids.

Chris-NZ

Both are nice units, ive looked thru them and used them (albeit on a display at a game fair)

I have Swaro laser guide, this does all the two expensive usits do at a fraction of the price

Granted the LG's are not a bino, but as a monocular they are pretty effective...

Just my 2p

There was a comprehensive review of the Zeiss 10x45 combo unit in Issue 9 of NZ Hunter magazine.

To very briefly summarize the findings, Greg did like a few refinements but the main thing was they gave very good readings in marginal conditions, eg bright midday light, etc. Reading between the lines, they didn't p*** over the Geovids and he left the reader to decide if the significant extra cost over the Geovids was worth it.

From what I read, can't say I'll be rushing to replace my Geovids.

Chris-NZ

belive me mate they do "piss" all over the Geovids,i dont need to read a magazine revue I have owned both sets and your eyes dont lie LOL

Ronnin

the purpose of having a range finder built in to your bins "less to carry or forget to carry" LOL

if you do your maths and sell your bins and your seperate range finder you wont be far off the "expensive" price of these superb units :D

I must admit that in my opinion there is a noticable difference in the optical quality and range finding ability in favour of the Zeiss although the Leica are slightly more compact :)

Leica were the first reasonably priced quality unit on the market and Zeiss have just raised the bar a little.I expect that Leica have their own refinements in the pipeline to take things further still :rolleyes:

I'm with WSM on this one.

They are both good but, you have to take into account how old the geovids are now.

Obviously things have moved on since they came out and if leica were to make new HD geovids i'm sure they would be up there with the Zeiss but, the fact is that at the moment they don't.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the Geoids get pimped but, if I was buying a pair tomorrow it would be the Zeiss.

Having said this I use the new Leica 10x42 HD ultravids and they are every bit as good at the victorys optically.

Just my 2p.

Moses

If you were talking high end Bino / RF then Vectronix are the way to go, but they are not cheap:

http://www.vectronix.com/#/en/products/han...s/vector_1500_1

Not much change from £2k for the basic 1500 model and I think twice that for the Mark IV

Still like the Swaro LG's personally, and I dont use Bino's as well when stalking, I dont need to with the Swaro's despite only being a monocular.

Been using a pair since they first came out (6 - 7 yrs ?), still satisfied with them - although I have to say I have good eyesight anyway.

Cheers guy's, im using a mates geovids at the moment and am impresed,my only problem is that my right eye is not so good so ive been looking through range finder with my left eye, no big deal really. Like Berger states if i sold my ELs and Leica 900 it would almost cover the cost of the Victory bins. Tough decision parting with the ELs though :rolleyes:

NELL

Cheers guy's, im using a mates geovids at the moment and am impresed,my only problem is that my right eye is not so good so ive been looking through range finder with my left eye, no big deal really. Like Berger states if i sold my ELs and Leica 900 it would almost cover the cost of the Victory bins. Tough decision parting with the ELs though :rolleyes:

NELL

well your ELs should piss £800 I sold mine on flee bay for £850 your range finder will make £200,my mate has a brand new pair of Geovids for sale if your interested £1100

• 1 month later...

I have owned both the Geovids and have just ordered the Zeiss rangefinder binos. The current Geovids are very good but you lose light gathering over the Ultravids because of the rangefinder I had to get the 8x56 to match my old 8x42 Ultravids. I looked through the 8x56 Geos and the Zeiss and thought the Zeiss slighly better also the Zeiss already have the latest flouride lenses supposedley 15% brighter. Compared to the latest HD 8x42 Ultravids there was no difference to my eyes compared with the Zeiss. The latest new HD Geovids are out the end of this month, same styling as previous and without the loss of light gathering because of the rangefinder so should equal the Zeiss.

• 1 month later...

Any other views on this subject?

Had a look at the Zeiss site - they mention a ballistic calculator - is there any way of turning this off or does the second press of the RF button immediately give you the "H" value?

The idea of better quality RF bins appeals, although I have to say I have been more than satisfied with the Swaro monocular device.

Any other views on this subject?

Had a look at the Zeiss site - they mention a ballistic calculator - is there any way of turning this off or does the second press of the RF button immediately give you the "H" value?

The idea of better quality RF bins appeals, although I have to say I have been more than satisfied with the Swaro monocular device.

Hi

you can have it on / off / feet and inches or metric.

i must say i love mine and will not be swapping them until something better comes along, i have used the swaro and wile they are good rangefinders i could not use them as bins as they would hurt my eyes scanning and dissecting the ground with just one eyepiece.

ATB

Colin :lol:

Thanks for the quick reply Colin

Could you advise if the switchover from Imperial to Metric is internal (in battery box) or external please?

Sorry for the questions!

I feel like I may be drawn to trying a pair at my nearest dealer.........

Thanks for the quick reply Colin

Could you advise if the switchover from Imperial to Metric is internal (in battery box) or external please?

Sorry for the questions!

I feel like I may be drawn to trying a pair at my nearest dealer.........

if you pay post you can have mine for a wile as i will not be needing mine for a wile. this not walking is a bit of a piss off.

there is 2 buttons on the range finder and the second one gives you the option to change the settings.

the only thing that would be better on this unit would be a copy of xbal in there and your drops popping up.

the offer is there is you would like to try a set.

like i have said i will not be using them for some time.

ATB

Colin :lol:

Colin

thankyou for your very kind and generous offer.

I will e-mail you soon.

Archived