Muzzle velocity from home loads

njc110381

I'm looking in the Lee book at Hornet loads. There is one listed that is subsonic (I think). I would really like to make a few of these up to see if they work for me, it would do the job of a .22lr without me having to buy one!

So first question. The load is listed at 1080fps. If I'm right, this is just (very just) subsonic?

Secondly, it is 1080fps from a test barrel. The chances are this will be longer than my CZ (which is 16"). So, how much slower is it likely to be in my rifle?

Third and last question. This is a compressed load - IMR4831, 11.5grn 10700cup. I'm not sure but I think the Hornet is a 43000cup cartridge. What happens if you reduce it slightly if needed? I know a case needs to be fairly full to be safe usually, but can moving from a compressed load to a loose powder load up the pressure by enough for it to be a problem? Only this compressed load is listed under start and maximum columns :rolleyes:

Sorry if a lot of these are pretty basic questions, but I'd rather ask than get it wrong!

I'm looking in the Lee book at Hornet loads. There is one listed that is subsonic (I think). I would really like to make a few of these up to see if they work for me, it would do the job of a .22lr without me having to buy one!

So first question. The load is listed at 1080fps. If I'm right, this is just (very just) subsonic?

Secondly, it is 1080fps from a test barrel. The chances are this will be longer than my CZ (which is 16"). So, how much slower is it likely to be in my rifle?

Third and last question. This is a compressed load - IMR4831, 11.5grn 10700cup. I'm not sure but I think the Hornet is a 43000cup cartridge. What happens if you reduce it slightly if needed? I know a case needs to be fairly full to be safe usually, but can moving from a compressed load to a loose powder load up the pressure by enough for it to be a problem? Only this compressed load is listed under start and maximum columns :rolleyes:

Sorry if a lot of these are pretty basic questions, but I'd rather ask than get it wrong!

apparently according to google the speed of sounds depends on temp, if you want and are bored have a look here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html

the hornet is a great little round and as always when you try specified loads start 5% lower then work them up , as it can all depend on many things and includind bullet seating depth

Try eleven grains. I'm certain that the velocity won't be much over 1000 fps if that. I shot cast bullets with H4831 at 11-ish grains and they hovered at 1050 fps from my 24 inch Winchester Hi Wall. Expect less speed and more muzzle flash from a 16" tube.~Andrew

PS: That load shot well!

Thanks for the replies. Would it be better to use cast bullets in this load? I've heard that jacketed bullets can get stuck in the barrel if you don't get it just right (when loading subsonic)?

I like cast bullets. My Highland Cousin shoots them from is 1949 Brno and shoots 10 shot groups at 50M that rival the best 22WMR. Think of it this way: What need is there for a jacketed bullet at low velocities??? Not much.

If you decide to go that casting route I can put you onto what works.~Andrew

I like cast bullets. My Highland Cousin shoots them from is 1949 Brno and shoots 10 shot groups at 50M that rival the best 22WMR. Think of it this way: What need is there for a jacketed bullet at low velocities??? Not much.

If you decide to go that casting route I can put you onto what works.~Andrew

:angry:

If you say so! It is a seriously simple operation, really. I heat treat 55 grain cast .225" bullets to shoot from my .222 and .223. I have clocked them at 2750 fps from my Deuce while delivering MOA. Not bad for a 3-cent bullet! ~Andrew

I would give it a go if I was planning to shoot a lot of them. All I want really is something I can shove in the rifle if I'm close to a dwelling or more likely stables. I'm not going to use more than say 50 per year once I've got the load developed. It's just not worth getting all the kit when I can buy 100 ready made for around $15 + postage.

Do you fancy selling me some? That could work! :lol::angry:

I'd give them to you but you have to come pick them up! You could get in some prairiedogging when you did. ;) ~Andrew

I'll have to save up for the taxi fare, then I may take you up on that one day. My 3 week trip to Canada last year all started from a comment just like yours! It would be a bloody expensive box of bullets but it's good to travel! ;)

Well.... cheaper ammo!

I loaded 100 pcs of Hornet the other day using a 34 grain HP identical to the Dog Town 34 grain HP. These bullets, which I am convinced are made by the same folks, cost $8/100. Factor in Primers ($2.20) and powder (about $3 for the lot) and it makes me wonder how people DON'T reload and spend $45/50 ctgs!! They must make more than I do or shoot a lot less!

My cousin came over from Scotland and shot prairiedogs and rabbits for a month a couple of years back. He got addicted to those 250 -300 yard shots on little targets using my 16-pound Ruger Custom Single shot varminter.223 1-9 twist. I shoot prairiedogs year-round; winter and summer. I guess I'm an addict, myself! :) ~Andrew

PS: For what it's worth, I have killed more prairiedogs with the 22 Hornet than any other caliber: 5mm to 243.

I think the reason we see it as so cheap is because of our exchange rate. We're always up on the dollar, even if not so much recently. Add that to the fact that your prices seem quite fair even if they were in £ and you can see why we think things are so good for you!

The Hornet is cheap to load. That's part of my reason for getting one. That and the added consistancy that I can get over HMR ammo by home loading. I don't know why more home loaders don't shoot them instead of the HMR?

I agree whole heartedly. Seventeen HMR ammo goes "on sale" here for $10 a box of fifty. I can reload 100 pcs of Hornet for $13 / 100 and believe me, my CZ will outshoot any HMR, any day.

Yes, the exchange rate and significant geographical distances involved help jack your prices. Too bad. I'm for cheap shooting for everybody. It is just an aside but the trading post I shop at has run out of Lee 22 Hornet Collet Die sets and Factory Crimp Dies. They have also sold the pair of CZ 527 Hornets they got in last week despite a price hike of $250 retail in the last 2.5 years. It must be catching on! 17Mach II's are a dead item: all are on "clearance" including the highly vaunted Thompson Center auto loaders. I noticed the last shipment of HMR's are gathering dust as well. I think folks -at least in the wide open spaces of Montana- are catching on that it's a "little too little" for this country's varmints.~Andrew

I just got an invite to shoot about 200 acres of unmolested prairiedogs 2 miles north of my town....

..~Andrew

Very inviting :unsure:

I'm off to see my buddy in Oklahoma end of next week and he's got some sod poodles lined up he tells me.

Main guns will be .223 and .22-250 (which I know from previous experience are very accurate) but we're taking a .222 and .243 as back-up guns.

Coz I've been winding him up, there's also a .375H&H going along for compulsory use "if I start whinging".. ;)

Chris-NZ

Very inviting :unsure:

I'm off to see my buddy in Oklahoma end of next week and he's got some sod poodles lined up he tells me.

Main guns will be .223 and .22-250 (which I know from previous experience are very accurate) but we're taking a .222 and .243 as back-up guns.

Coz I've been winding him up, there's also a .375H&H going along for compulsory use "if I start whinging".. ;)

Chris-NZ

It's always best to have a heavy gun just in case they charge.

You should have fun. The pups will be out. ~Andrew

Chris - the .375H&H is surprisingly accurate for such a large calibre. I manage an inch group at 100 yards with my BRNO 602! If I could shoot Rabbits legally with mine here and I had safe ground to do so I wouldn't think twice. It's not as hard a round as people make out.

I still like my HMR. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad round for use in the UK. I shot 14 Rabbits with mine in as many minutes today. Missed 2 due to clipping the grass on the way to the target. What bugs me is it's too small for Fox, it's expensive for what it is and I can't load it myself. The Hornet just seems a little bit better for me.

It would be nice to see the Hornet make a comeback. I have no idea why people don't consider them over the HMR, apart from maybe the price of factory loads and not wanting to reload. I don't think many people even know that much about them!

Archived