Crow baits for long range shooting?

Guest Tiff

I've got a new long range rifle coming at the end of this week and would like to try it out on some crows 'way way out there' :lol:

The one shoot I've got where I can easily reach beyond one click is now strangely devoid of any rabbits :lol: All I can find are these narrow 6-20" deep holes around the place....

So I need to get some crows into the area on the day. Due to stock coming into the field next week, I've probably got only 1 chance of this in the next 6 weeks, so want to do it right.

Apart from gutted rabbits and crow decoys, what other things can be used?

Any tips greatly appreciated

Tiff

Bit of wheat or sheep feed pellets but they have to find them, pehaps a dead rabbit belly up would get them into the area.

If the farmer is feeding his ewes which he probably will be 30 minutes after he has gone and the sheep have eaten most of the grub you will have crows etc about.

A

I might see if he's got a few sheep pellets to spare then...He gave up on scarecrows years ago.

I've always decoyed crows when shotgun shooting and never really waited to see how readily they land - still alive.

A few bits off rubbish (staked down so it doesn't blow off) are the only other tricks I've heard of.

If I get a chance at the end of this week to go out, I'll take the video camera and record all the missed shots :rolleyes:

Any other tricks to bring them in would be great thanks.

A dead sheep carcuss if you can get your hands on one,

Stick it out in the field and leave it for a day or two , then get down there for some fun, Magpies , crows ,rooks and even Black backs, all on the hit list.

Is it the 30-338 that you sent me a pm about a while ago thats the new toy :rolleyes:

cheers Andy

Yes thats the new toy, just hoping it survied the 70,000PSI+ proof today....

Can't wait to see the look on the farmers face when I ask for a dead sheep :rolleyes:

well placed rabbits in young sugar beet are fatal fro crows especially if you do like me and shoot them out of the bathroom window, its totally safe by the way

Pedigree chum mixer pressed in with your heel so they can't just pick them up and fly. Carcasses are usually favourite and as Elwood said get there before daylight for the best results.

Pete.

Pedigree chum mixer pressed in with your heel so they can't just pick them up and fly. Carcasses are usually favourite and as Elwood said get there before daylight for the best results.

Pete.

I have been doing a bit of crow shooting with my 6mm br and see your advice about getting there before light. One question is do you do all this for one shot and hopefully a kill and then do they all fly away, or do you get more shots.

if there is a pair sometimes if you shoot 1 the other will mob the carcas and if you are quick a second shot can arrise , but not always

Went onto a farm today where we have been asked to have a go at the crows, the tombola were all over the track down from the main road hundreds of the b#####ds,

On closer examination there were several grain/seed spillages on the track and the crows were on them like flys round a t##d

Ian.

a small disco mirror ball. i'm told that they just cant resist something glittery

That makes sense, but I'd never of thought of it! Will give it a go along with the other suggestions this Saturday, if the weather permits.

Archived