A mixed day with ppc!!

varminter

Guest 308Panther

"have tested the effect of a bronze brush being rubbed on a piece barrel grade stainless against a nylon brush"

"nylon bushes in engineering are known to wear through steel very quick and not them selves be harmed"

Silent,

Your saying you tested these??

Out of curiousity with what results?...Care to elaborate further?

Its a curiousity....We always had the bronze brushes over here...then for a few years the plastic ones....And now more and more ya see the bronse ones again...

308Panther

Hi Panther,

Nylon is in many cases filled with

minerals to make it stiffer. These minerals, sometimes

glass balls or small fibres are of course deadly

on steel. Nylon itself is not really abrasive, just as

silent say's in bearings they wear less than steel, partially

because dust, sand, dirt and metal shavings get bedded

into the softer of the partnering bearing materials being nylon.

That then funtions like sandpaper on the other suface just like

in the lapping process. A soft copper lapping disk wears away less

than the hardened steel parts that it lapps.

Oh, and tooth brushes have rounded bristle ends.

edi

ok..... at my last job I had access to a r a ??? meter ( well thats what we called it)

its a small machine about the size of a 223 green 50 round ammo box and when you turn it on a small arm slowly extends out and lowers itself onto the test piece of the material used

we used it to determin the surface finish of stainless as food and pharmaceutical have different required finishes of "mirror polished" and this meter drags a very fine diamond tip accross the surface and digitally displays the surface finish

the finish most people consider as polished stainless is generally far courser than is required for pharmaceutical and the finished product is tested by an outside examination where a group of people come down to do the testing and also use one of these meters

they also spray an enzyme over the product and hose wash it down, then use U.V lights that highlight any remaining enzymes that have been left on the product after washing down and this shows any areas that are not polished to the spec ( basically they stick to the courser finish of the mirror finish)

we then had to re-polished the bad areas( the human eye would not see the difference in the mirror finish)

any way enough of that crap,,,, I took a piece of polished 316L stainless, cut it in halves, rubbed one vigorously, but in the same direction, with a bronze brush and the other the same with a nylon

put the meter over both and although the bronze looked courser by eye, the nylon one had a higher reading

cant remember the exact readings but it was something like 0.46 'V' 0.9 something

the bronze brushed plate looked more matt than mirror but the surface was more lumpy on the nylon one

Guest 308Panther
my chins rounded and bristley at the moment and the mrs is moaning about that being abrasive too

Use Cold Water for a closer shave.... :lol:

308Panther

I use a program called "Load from a disc" It has all the sammi spec loads you would ever need, what powders are best with what bullet etc. Works a treat for me. Best of all all new info on different rounds, powder etc are a simple download free do you don't have to buy the next version to get the latest info. :lol:

Archived