Tumbling brass

Elwood

Following on from this thread http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=5695&hl= would tumbling to many cases cause work hardening?

I thought the question was worth its own slot, perhaps some of you reloading guru types could add to this topic?

I thought work hardening would only be caused be stretching and compressing?

I can't see that tumbling too many cases at one time could change the molecular structure of brass. The more cases I put in my Lyman 1200 Turbo the better the media seems too clean and polish them.

Some of my .243 cases are on their 9th load and as most who load know, this is one of the worst calibres for stretching and requires full length sizing and trimming more often than most. I've yet too find the need to reject any of my cases (lapua) so far.

I throw .223, .243, 6br and .308 all in together at the same time and it seems the more weight of brass in the tumbler the better the media works. Not being a guru of any sort, this is what I've found over a period of time.

It doesn't really matter whether you put 10 or 200 in at a time , at some stage during the cleaning cycle the brass is going to make contact, but as there is no stretching, bending or large temperatures generated I can't see how it could work harden your brass.

Then again a metallurgical technician might just pop up and tell me I'm talking ###### :rolleyes:

I'll keep doing what I'm doing until it seems to ruin my brass I suppose.

Pete ( happy in my ignorance of things too technical )

The more cases I put in my Lyman 1200 Turbo the better the media seems too clean and polish them.

I've seen the same thing said on a tumbler manufacturer's website.

I've just lobbed another 40 (on top of the 40 that were already in there) .308 cases in a Lyman 1200 Turbo.

So how much of what do we all put in what?

I just tell Angel to shut it off after she gets tired of listening to it

hum...

I keep a dedicated 24-hr mains timer unit on hand to turn it off after ~4hrs. Saves having to think about it.

The timers are cheap as hell these days in hardware shops.

Chris-NZ

I throw .223, .243, 6br and .308 all in together at the same time and it seems the more weight of brass in the tumbler the better the media works.

its all down to the weight on the springs .ie press down on the tumbler and watch the brass turn a lot faster ...to half the tumbling time add (oneshot) to your corn media plus they come out looking good and stay looking good for some time .

Archived