A DAY OUT WITH MARTIN

Well guys as a lot of you would know Martin some time ago ,had a stroke :(

I had never spoke to him before but as I have seen people who have been in that position ,they tend to get very down as they cant do the things they used to do, so I sent Martin a pile of shooting DVD's that he could watch.

Through doing this we have made a good friendship and have spoke on the phone most days putting the world to right :lol: .

As you would know he is back on his feet and shooting deer and foxes when ever he gets the chance, and I am constantly reminded of it when I recieve a picture text of something that he has shot when I am at work :)

Really makes me feel like I want to be stuck under a welding screen when I see them ,I'm sure :D:D:lol:

Anyhow yesterday was the first time we met ,Martin had invited me up just to have a spin round with him.

We set off from his house after looking at all the shooting toys ,to an area that Martin uses to zero his rifles, he wanted to check as he had changed ammo to a different brand, I never knew that factory stuff had gone that expensive :o , Im glad that I reload.

Martin put out his target at 100yrds and sent one of his few remaining Remmy rounds into the bull, he then tried the Federal which was about 4"away, as he was walking back from the target ,I was scanning with the old Swaro's and spotted many roe does and bucks across the Valley about 800yrds away, I was very surprised as some were in the gardens of peoples houses eating the flowers, anyhow I caught a movement in a hedge about 150yrds from our positoion, it was a Roe Buck laid tight in the hedge having a bit of sun>

As Martin returned I commented on the deer across the Valley and said do you want to shoot that buck there about 150yrds away, he just laughed :lol: and said YEA :lol:

When I said I was serious , and he saw the Buck ,we then went into Stealth mode :ph34r:

We both scanned the buck and he wasnt bothered by us and Martin decided to Stalk round him to get the shot , I would stay where I was and guide him in and give him hand signals if the buck changed positions.

Martin Stalking round ,down wind in a big arc and crawled with his Addidas black and white ghillie tee shirt on :ph34r::lol::lol:

He had a wire fence that he had to put the barrel of the rifle through and carefully got set up , I watched as all this went on ,unfortunately ,the video camera was in the truck (what a Pr**K for leaving it in there) so I couldnt film it .

I spied the deer and saw a perfect strike as MArtin Dispatched it with a clean Kneck shot ;)

I got down to where the beast was and Martin was already bleeding it, there was one very happy man there with a grin from ear to ear :D

It was a privalage to see an expert using a knife, Martin as most of you would know, is an ex-slaughter man and made very short work of the Gralloch, he inspected all the bits and pieces and the buck was on his shoulder and in the back of the truck within ten minutes.

We then had a spin round , we had had a buck so we decided that Martin would give me a tour of some of his land, we parked up and had a few scans , we saw a lot of deer and saw a cracking buck which was in a small field right on the side of the road ,

The only spot you could have taken him from was the Gate ,a shame but we had to give him a miss :(

I must thank Martin for a great day out and the very kind offer of a return visit, my plan is to next time get some footage of him taking a big buck , that will be something special I am sure.

It just goes to show how this site helps like minded people come together and have the oppotunity to share some wonderfull experiences,

I have made a good friend in Martin and cant wait to get back up to have some fun ;)

Martin has a photo and I will get him to post it .

cheers Andy ;)

Sounds like a great day was had by the both of you. I think that is one of the greatest things about the internet, the chance to meet people with common interests and forge friendships (and maybe more in some cases :D ) I have been lucky enough to be invited out by several people on my trips to the UK, and have made many friends along the way, I think that this is one of the friendliest shooting websites without much of the bickering that occurs on other sites. Have a good Easter , what's left of it. Regards Toby

Guest martin

I must start by saying how priviledged I was to have the shooting star of UKV come to my humble(and,I do mean humble)abode.I really enjoyed the day out with Andy,and,to drop a Buck as well obviously made it doubly good.To be totally honest,I wasn't expecting to see one where we did,even though I did take 4 Roe off there last season,and,that is why I only had my Adidas'Street'Realtree polo shirt on,we were only there to zero in as Andy said,but,I will always take them wherever they present me with a safe shot.

A couple of the other farms we went to should probably have held a couple,but,as we all know,they don't read the same rule book as we do...LOL. We had a good walk round though,and,as he said Andy was mesmerised by the amount of deer around the valley across from where we were zeoring earlier,and,almost everywhere we did go Andy would spot more deer all around us,but,unfortunately not on my bits,that's how it goes sometimes.Well I am already looking forward to the next trip,and,for Andy to make me a Video Star,not sure I've got the looks for that though,it might scare the kids...hahaha.

Here is the photo as promised..............

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

Here is something that even Andy hadn't seen before though..........

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

Yes gold fish in a trough :D ,it can only happen in the Westcountry :)

Thanks again Andy for a great day out mate,speak soon.............Martin.

Sod's Law Andy, bet you carry the camera everywhere now :D

Great way to zero your rifle Martin, great to hear your back with a vengence and fighting fit.

Love the fish in the trough ??? Why ???

Cheers Steve

Guest martin
Sod's Law Andy, bet you carry the camera everywhere now :P

Great way to zero your rifle Martin, great to hear your back with a vengence and fighting fit.

Love the fish in the trough ??? Why ???

Cheers Steve

I really don't know why he has fish in the trough,but,he is a funny bugger,so,it could be anything..........Martin.

Guest martin
was that a cttle dip as we call them here if it was it would be "fish in dips"

Oh Spud,you just dredged new depths with that one mate.............. :P

Guest Sprags

Fair play to you both, Nem for taking the time to sort out the DVD's for Martin and to Martin for taking Nem out, it just show's that there are still a few good guy's left in the world!

Martin, it's great to see you up and about mate :rolleyes:

Regards,Sprags

nice going ,if i ever come down i will bring my fishing rod :rolleyes:

Guest martin
Dredging around in the murky depths of my memory: I think the fish are there to keep the trough free of algae? Ratwhiskers may be able to comment further.

regards

Gareth

I must say,that was what I had imagined they were in there for...............'M'

Archived