Accuracy International AX Mk3 - recoil management

Vally2niner

hey all, anyone else got a mk3 and struggling with recoil management. It has the tactical AI muzzle break. And i have also put suppressor on. Calibres are 6.5 and .338.  Rifle jumping all over the place - particularly with the 338. My previous 338, ruger precision was smooth as butter compared to the AI.  My position is fine and square on so don’t think thats the issue. Any thoughts on how to improve on this. 
thanks

Try to keep rifle parallel to the ground and adjust butt pad to keep all recoil in a straight back movement rather than an angle that makes the flip . Had my AI AT for 7 years or so and I’m still finding things out that help . Groups are much better too and a good solid grip keeps everything tight so I can see the impacts . I do notice more barrel twang now though. I have found a butt spike by bt industries useful but they’re not everyone s cup of tea . Adjusting this to get on target and take the shot then finding your point of aim for next shot is way off shows that your natural poi has changed, so reposition to get back to natural poi again has helped me . Hope info helps or gives you a starting point , cheers 

6 hours ago, Vally2niner said:

hey all, anyone else got a mk3 and struggling with recoil management. It has the tactical AI muzzle break. And i have also put suppressor on. Calibres are 6.5 and .338.  Rifle jumping all over the place - particularly with the 338. My previous 338, ruger precision was smooth as butter compared to the AI.  My position is fine and square on so don’t think thats the issue. Any thoughts on how to improve on this. 
thanks

You don’t have one of the butt spike things do you? If so, chuck it in the bin. I’ve seen plenty of people have them who simply couldn’t get their gun to group. As soon as it was removed and a proper rear bag used, groups and recoil management improved.

38 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

You don’t have one of the butt spike things do you? If so, chuck it in the bin. I’ve seen plenty of people have them who simply couldn’t get their gun to group. As soon as it was removed and a proper rear bag used, groups and recoil management improved.

No don’t use a spike. Have a bag but thinking it maybe needs to be bigger. Always tensing to get the back end settled. 

1 hour ago, Vally2niner said:

No don’t use a spike. Have a bag but thinking it maybe needs to be bigger. Always tensing to get the back end settled. 

Fair enough - just seen enough of those spikes cause no end of issues.

With the big 338s, it’s definitely a mix of a good solid position, front loading the bipod a bit and solid trigger pull. I have a custom Defiance 338 Norma Magnum in a Eliseo RTM chassis, with a big bag rider at the back. That allows me to settle things well. I find a proper rear bag rest work best to help the gun track backwards properly, like an F class gun does in the bag. I’ve found my ‘tactical’ squeeze bags allow the butt to torque or shift under the recoil unless I’m really careful, but even then things can jump on you.

My RTM chassis is nice and inline (like an AR15) so the push is straight back - not sure what it’s like on the AI MKIII?

I do have an AI AWM in .300wm, with the older style thumbhole folding chassis synonymous with the AWs. Whilst it’s not setup to shoot from a rear rest, I’ve found it does so better than a squeezy type.

You will find whilst a sound moderator does tame recoil, the brake alone will do a better job. I mostly use the Sidewinder brake on my .338NM and it definitely works better than with the moddy. 
My .300wm AWM is quite mild with a moddy.

4 hours ago, Richiew said:

Try to keep rifle parallel to the ground and adjust butt pad to keep all recoil in a straight back movement rather than an angle that makes the flip . Had my AI AT for 7 years or so and I’m still finding things out that help . Groups are much better too and a good solid grip keeps everything tight so I can see the impacts . I do notice more barrel twang now though. I have found a butt spike by bt industries useful but they’re not everyone s cup of tea . Adjusting this to get on target and take the shot then finding your point of aim for next shot is way off shows that your natural poi has changed, so reposition to get back to natural poi again has helped me . Hope info helps or gives you a starting point , cheers 

3 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Fair enough - just seen enough of those spikes cause no end of issues.

With the big 338s, it’s definitely a mix of a good solid position, front loading the bipod a bit and solid trigger pull. I have a custom Defiance 338 Norma Magnum in a Eliseo RTM chassis, with a big bag rider at the back. That allows me to settle things well. I find a proper rear bag rest work best to help the gun track backwards properly, like an F class gun does in the bag. I’ve found my ‘tactical’ squeeze bags allow the butt to torque or shift under the recoil unless I’m really careful, but even then things can jump on you.

My RTM chassis is nice and inline (like an AR15) so the push is straight back - not sure what it’s like on the AI MKIII?

I do have an AI AWM in .300wm, with the older style thumbhole folding chassis synonymous with the AWs. Whilst it’s not setup to shoot from a rear rest, I’ve found it does so better than a squeezy type.

You will find whilst a sound moderator does tame recoil, the brake alone will do a better job. I mostly use the Sidewinder brake on my .338NM and it definitely works better than with the moddy. 
My .300wm AWM is quite mild with a moddy.

Thanks for info guys. Always learning!

• 11 months later...
On 5/22/2022 at 4:30 PM, Catch-22 said:

But spike used all weekend . Small five shot group at 100 , then another group at 300 m . Shots from the foxholes at whipperdale ranges . Every shot back on target after the recoil . Fortmeir bipod does help lots with recoil compared to the standard AI one .

Ill keep using mine !!!

0AAECB25-2338-47D3-88A7-408572C76D96.jpeg

0418A516-7F91-42D6-B490-4B517F3155EA.jpeg