Range finder

I compared them too, but a couple of months ago. The thing that swung it for me was with the leica when you press the button to send the laser the aiming square disappeared making it hard to hold steady on the target you are ranging. I got the swarovski one and am delighted with it. In ideal conditions have ranged out to 1999yards with it. Far enough for me anyway. :D

I have had a Leica 1200 for maybe 5 years now. I would not have another.

Generally it is reasonable, ranges can vary by 10 yards at under 200 yards, sometimes it puts up a stupid distance and in light fog or mist forget it as it wont range as far as you can see. Works in the dark though strangely. I suppose for the money it is acceptable.

Buying today I would look at rangefinder binos from Ziess or Leica Geovids, one less thing to carry then. I do though hear good reports on the newish Swaro rangfinder but I have never seen one. There is also the Ziess rangefinder scopes but they are very steep price wise.

A

i have leica geovids the older version that only range in meters but thats no hassle as ive set up exbal for meters. they also have a magnetic compas on board. ive had no probs at all with these and saves carrying lrf and binos.

verdict AWESOME!!!!!!!! B):D

leica_geovid_290x239.gif

Just my personal thoughts gents ,

Started with the Leica LRF800 and was very pleased with how they functioned for the money!!

Then saved up for some Leica Geovid 8x56s

opticsplanet_2010_1387523152.gif

, nice optics and good rangefinding abilities!!! , find in slight foggy conditions can reduce the range somewhat!! , but even so still very pleased!! B)

I think if you want a rangefinder that will work still in adverse conditions , then you are talking big money for high spec military unit!!!

All the best.......................

RAY.......................................... :D :D

as with all range finders, it all depends how still you can hold the reticule on the target, which may sound easy, but a rabbit at 390 yards can soon become 420 yards with a slight "wobble", i've got an old LRF800, does me fine, cracking on wardening dutys on the salt marshes ranging geese aswell!

Not sure on current prices; but there used to be a fairly large price differential between Leica and Swaro LRFs.

Not really a fair contest :lol: ...the Swaro is definitely better; but it costs more.

My distillation of an answer would be:

Stalking=Leica

Long range plinking=Swaro

I've been using a Leica 800 for several years now; bought it for Highland stalking. A great little easily-pocketable LRF that comfortably manages 5-550m on non-reflective objects (fur and foliage) under most conditions.

Would I swap it for a Swaro? Definitely.

Would I pay an additional £300 to upgrade to a Swaro? ummmm; depends on your intended useage.

Unless you're anticipating routinely taking on tgts in excess of 500m there's absolutely no point in paying for the additional unused functionality. (I now do lots of long range plinking -want to take this as an opprtunity to buy my LRF800? ! :) )

By the by, some of the earlier comments mention 'ranging errors' and 'poor in fog'. A couple of comments as a pretty experienced user of portable military LRFs:

Ranging 'errors' with any top-end LRF will almost always be due to 'finger trouble' akin to pulling the trigger rather than squeezing it. (Low-end LRFs are also limited by the angular subtension of their beam -swaro and leica are not low-end!)

'Poor in fog' just makes me laugh. My headlights aren't as good in fog! ;) It's a laser (think 'posh torch'), not a radar! ;)

A quick look at Uttings revealed the list price of the swarovski at £589 and leica 1200 at £499 so not much in it really. Could be a better deal elsewhere.

Rabbit,

I'm out of touch; I had no idea the prices were so similar now!

Just trawled ebay; spotted this (It's not me selling it!): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...hlink:middle:uk

If anyone here's interested, I'd be happy to sell my LRF800 for whatever that goes for minus a negotiable percentage.

No takers for my Leica?! :)

All this LRF chat caused me to dig out a few old pics;

Now this dates me, but ....

here's me with my first portable LRF ......makes Geovids look pocket-size!

(me in the foreground (apologies about the face blanking, I'm shy :rolleyes::) ))

img006crop2.jpg

i have the crf 1200 very easy to use press it twice and it will track the range ..

Hi Guys

how much begger then the lrf is the swarvo unit?never seen one in the flesh!

also whts the ret(think u can tell wht i mean) like for size & ease of targeting bunny/crow size targets & extended ranges

cheers Andy

Archived